No announcement yet.

Whining Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

larger displacement = higher power output.

The 3.3 was basically a further development of the 3.0 - while still not *great* to modern standars.. it was an improvement. State side they're common enough in junkyards it's a waste of time keeping a 3.0.

Reference: https://z31performance.com/forum/z31...rmation-thread

Long story short, break a 3.3 down to a rotating assembly with heads and slap all the other BS onto it and drop it in.

Comment

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
      larger displacement = higher power output.

The 3.3 was basically a further development of the 3.0 - while still not *great* to modern standars.. it was an improvement. State side they're common enough in junkyards it's a waste of time keeping a 3.0.

Reference: https://z31performance.com/forum/z31...rmation-thread

Long story short, break a 3.3 down to a rotating assembly with heads and slap all the other BS onto it and drop it in.
      That's not good to hear. I may end up going down the RB20 route as there are so many here in the UK.

Comment

At that route, i'd still say displacement is your friend - go RB26/30 with a large single turbo. Maybe consider shipping some of those RB Z31 crossmembers to the US to fund your work!

The RB mounting locations should be the same bolt in affair, so go big.
        Last edited by 88sinZ; 08-31-2016, 01:44 AM.

Comment

RB26 would be worth it just for the noise alone. When I get the time I'll work out some cost comparisons on the options.

Comment

Guys, I can get hold of a Z32 gearbox, but it's a pre-1998 box. As mine is whining like hell, do you think this would be worth swopping in? I've been told it can handle 700bhp/700lbs.

Will it be compatible with my flywheel and prop shaft?

Comment

get at least 600whp, after think about other gearbox.
              Z31 JDM my way_google translated

Comment

I think I'm going to swap it anyway due to the nature of this thread.

Comment

if you have a 30 a trans, the z32 trans guts are the same, but the extension housing/shifter is different. not sure, but you should be able to open it up, take the gear and shaft assembly, and put your bellhousing and extension housing on it. I did this with a 71c out of a 240 and used my bellhousing and extension housing.
                  Ride it like you stole it...
                  1986 300zx NA2T - CM 3" turbo back, Pathy 3.0 Engine, Custom cold air intake, 255lph Walboro, T3 turbo, 90 shot of nitrous, 30A trans, 88t LSD, Poly everywhere, SS brakelines. 288whp 336wtq
                  2001 YZF600 - Sold for Nitrous and Exhaust Upgrade...
                  1993 Toyota Corolla - The invincible daily driver, off to greener pastures.
                  2002 Nissan Maxima SE - New daily driver

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to put the extension housing on because the output shaft is shorter. But bellhousing will work and make things a bit easier. As for the whine, it's probably main shaft bearings. Try changing the oil and see if it helps at all. It's nothing to worry about until it starts sounding like a super charger .
                    Straya, +61

Comment

Working...
                    X