Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushings -- Manual Trans cross-member

Hey guys,

I am in search of a bushing. the two bushings that go in the transmission support bar that sits inside the mounting bracket. I have managed to find almost all other bushing for the underside of the car, for the exception of these two little guys... can't seem to find anywhere online. mine are shot...
    Of course they are discontinued by Nissan. Any idea where I might find a set?

Also, I found this Trackpro support bar that has the bushings and replaces the stock bar and doesn't use the stock insulator mount. Anybody had any experience using this? Found very little online about it. any help would be great. Thank You.

Bon
    Attached Files

You can ask they guy who makes these if the bushings he uses would fit the stock cross member. Maybe he would sell you a set of bushings only.

Comment

yeah I just posted the question on their forum. surprisingly their sales website offers no other form of customer service contact. no phone number, no email, no nothing. not even a physical address.
      but if just the bushings would fit, I'll take them. what blows my mind is all the poly-urethane bushings kits out there seem to have every bushing needed except the ones for the transmission mount bar. why those were skipped is beyond me. thanks for your reply.

Bon

Comment

Gary Molitor used to make those bushings from polyurethane and I got one of the last sets a couple of years ago. The ones used in this part look very similar, but I don't know where they're sourced from. And there's four of them in total, two for each side. Is your transmission mount good? If those bushings are done with it's likely the rubber in the transmission mount is torn too.

Comment

yeah the mount is trashed. I got a replacement but it was the wrong one (automatic) that I ordered from ebay.... go figure. when my mech removed everything he showed me a video of the mount bar and the destroyed bushings. I am thinking about just getting this mount that is in the picture, but it says it does away with the normal C-mount insulator and the dumbbell mount bar... which seems odd to me. I can see the mount bar being discarded, but the actually mount itself? of course I have to wait until someone from the site responds to the forum in order to get the specifics.

you know a few years ago I bought a complete Prothane bushing kit for my car and replaced all the suspension stuff and surprisingly there are still parts left over that don't go on the 300. I wonder if maybe there may be a set of mount bar bushings that I need still in the box? I found some 280/280ZX transmission bushings and I thought about getting those, but they probably won't fit the Z31. This is becoming quite the task.

Is Mr. Molitor still around and would I be able to get a bushing set from him do you know? There must be some bushings out there somewhere.

Bon

Comment

The Response Type transmission mount is like a half way solid mount. You keep the damper bushings but replace the transmission mount with a solid piece. Once you do that, the dumb bells are no longer necessary as they are there to keep everything in place if the stock mount fails. I am running the poly damper bushings alongside an ASCO poly mount and this increased cabin noise drastically. I am looking for a way to get a softer transmission mount in there. The ASCO mount is very stiff polyurethane. Stock manual transmission mounts are mostly out of stock. There are a few out there but they're going for $200 or so.

The Prothane master kit has extra parts because it covers all different options for 84-89 USDM cars. You're meant to have leftovers from that.

Mr Molitor is no longer making anything for Z31s and there's no point asking him anymore.

Also, in theory, once you're running a very stiff or solid transmission mount, it would be good to have stiffer motor mounts. I don't know if it's actually necessary.
            Last edited by kaur; 09-22-2017, 04:55 AM.

Comment

• kaur
              kaur commented
              Editing a comment
              I got it from ASCO like a year or two ago. I remember some comment on facebook saying that they're relocating at the moment and should be back in business after that. I'm going to try filling my stock mount with softer polyurethane. I like to drive my car around and after an hour or so the drivetrain noise gets pretty tiring. It does shift so much better than before, though.

• Dunkine
              Dunkine commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, something in between stock 40 and hard 80/95 would be nice like 60.

• kaur
              kaur commented
              Editing a comment
              I have 65A poly ready and the old mount cleaned out. Just have to figure out how to bond the poly to steel.

guys, thanks for all the input.

I have checked the ASCO mount and what comes up in google is the solid mount from arcadianasports.com, which according to the site, is currently out of stock.

Isn't there a way I could find some universal bushings and try and make them fit inside the dumbbell bar as replacement? any other alternative ideas?
            I would get the trackpro mount but they have yet to respond to me. I will get the insulator mount for sure (stock) I found a few online, used and new, the latter being quite expensive. tell me, if I just replace that part and not the bushings on the dumbbell, how much of an effect will that have? I'm sure that the new mount probably won't last very long.

It seems like I'm never going to get my car back on the road
            I love my Z31, but boy is it a pain in the butt sometimes.

Again thank you guys

Bon
            Last edited by bonfire79; 09-22-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

The bushings are eccentric so it's pretty hard to find something universal. Stock mount with broken bushings won't last long.

Comment

The alternative I am looking into is getting liquid polyurethane (2 part) and making my own replacement bushings. This way you could get the stiffness you want and not be at the mercy of what's available. Like Kaur said, they are eccentric, so a jig of some sort would be necessary to get the sleeve in the proper position.

If you want a fix for now, you maybe able to inject window weld #08609 super fast urethane if there are spaces in the mount, can't remember what they look like off the top of my head. If you search "window weld motor mounts" on YouTube there are a ton of videos of people filling the spaces in the mounts with window weld. One guy even did with the sleeve loose in the mount. If you rubbers not destroyed, it might last you a while, at least you could get you Z back on the road.

Comment

If you're just looking to get on the road, Rockauto does have manual transmission mounts.

Comment

• kaur
                    kaur commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for pointing that out, they were out of stock the last time I checked.

thanks guys again. I managed to get ahold of the guy that sells the mount from track pro. unfortunately he doesn't sell the bushings separate from the mount, however it sounds like they would fit in replacement for my stock bushings. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the whole mount and give that a shot. evidently I won't be needing a stock insulator mount or the support bar with the bushings. we'll see.

Frozen, RockAuto is probably my favorite vender online to get Z31 parts! I've gotten everything from a/c stuff to radiators from them and will continue to stay with them as long as they still have parts.

Dunkine, I've never heard of the window weld, but if they have it here in UAE I might see if my mech can get some and maybe try it out. actually seems like a pretty good idea.

I'll keep this updated as I get these parts in. Thanks!

Bon

Comment

Working...
                  X