Help! Can't find a flywheel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Can't find a flywheel!

Ok I guess the title misleads... I need a flywheel for an n/a 1988 300zx. All I've found is a lightweight flywheel. I just do not have that much money for a flywheel, and on top of that the car is my wife's. As I understand a light flywheel makes it harder to work the clutch? She would absolutely hate that.
    so my question. Is there a STOCK flywheel available for my application? If so where? I have been searching for 2 days and can't find it. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by snotnosedpunk; 04-05-2018, 09:08 AM.

Here's an 88 Turbo Flywheel. The NA was not listed on Rock Auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flywheel,5348
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I need one for the n/a... Will the turbo flywheel work with a non turbo computer? Has anyone tried this? My theory is if it would work, why would nissan specified a difference between turbo and n/a flywheel?
      It appears they no longer manufacture the correct one??? Wtf? I wish she had just bought a mustang... They're sloppy feeling cars, but at least you don't have to pull your hair out to find parts... Sorry I am just so incredibly frustrated with this.

Last edited by snotnosedpunk; 04-05-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

The only difference between late model turbo (87-89) and all of the NA flywheels is the NA flywheel is 240mm and the Turbo is 250mm. Its 100% interchangeable the only difference would be the clutch pressure plate used.
        Why does the car need a new flywheel?
        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I can hear the starter grinding where it's missing teeth... So do I have to use a different clutch? I'd prefer not to. I just bought an n/a clutch.

Comment

Thats not a common issue. Have you pulled the starter off to look at the teeth? You're sure the engine isn't seized? The pressure plate needed is slightly larger diameter. The clutch disc itself can be interchanged.

if you need an affordable option, I'm sure someone could sell you their used 250mm pressure plate to match the flywheel.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Engine runs, and starter is new. I hear it every time it starts though. The clutch has to be changed either way. Ya I'd purchase the correct flywheel used, but I haven't found one.

Comment

Vintage Z has a 240mm flywheel for $125. Don't know if it has the ring gear too.

https://vintagezparts.com/product/flywheel-240mm/

But for that price, I'd probably buy the new 250MM flywheel and clutch assy from rockauto.

--------------
                Legal stuff:
                **Nissan Employee**
                Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
                '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
                '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
                '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
                '00 Corolla-- kids car.
                '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I appreciate the help. So if I return the new clutch that I have, and then purchase the turbo flywheel and turbo clutch kit will it work? Or is the pressure plate for a turbo car with n/a disc specific to my application?

Comment

I thought the ring gears were replaceable? Can’t you take it to a machine shop and have it replaced?

Also check here. Www.300zxpartsforyou.com

Jeff
                    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Ok info that was given is not correct. Turbo flywheel and clutch will not work on an n/a car.
                      The clutch is too big and will bind inside the bell housing.
                      N/a clutch is smaller and does not bolt up to turbo flywheel.
                      Use n/a flywheel and n/a clutch for n/a car.

Comment

You must have the 71C transmission. I never compared the NA and turbo flywheel. Correct me if I’m wrong, I thought the flywheels were the same size accept for the clutch contact surface on the flywheel, if so you may be able to use a demal or grinding stone in the bell housing. If not I may have my old flywheel with a halfway worn CenterForce clutch and plate... I had the borg Warner transmission behind it
                        shotyme

Comment

I'm pretty sure the only difference between a turbo flywheel and a non-turbo is the bolt pattern for the pressure plate (240mm vs 250mm). He may be thinking of the z32 flywheel. Fidanza lists the same part number for Turbo applications as Non-Turbo.
                          Last edited by mwolvinm; 05-29-2018, 12:43 PM. Reason: adding Fidanza comment
                          --------------
                          Legal stuff:
                          **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
                          '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

Best to just not give info if you don't know. The N/a clutch will not bolt up to a turbo flywheel. A turbo clutch will bind in the bell housing. Save yourself the headache and pay for the correct part for your application.

Comment

I'm curious where you're getting the turbo pressure plate will bind in the housing. All of the information I'm reading says it'll work as long as it's mated to the correct flywheel. You started the thread, which makes me think you may have tried it without success.

From z31.com:

"The second strongest Z31 manual transmission is the FS5W71C. This transmission is used in the 240SX, 180SX, Silvia, etc. A few people who have blown up their FS5R90As have swapped to this transmission and not had problems."
                              --------------
                              Legal stuff:
                              **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
                              '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

Working...
                              X