Torque converter R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter R&R

The torque converter went bad in my auto trans 88 turbo GLL. I installed a new TC and spun and wiggled and jiggled it to be sure it was in all the way, and got the desired multiple clunks, but when I bolt the trans up to the engine, the TC is jammed against the flywheel. The center shaft of the TC is ¾” below the front edge of the bell housing. Does anyone have a trans lying around with the TC installed who could measure that distance for me? It sure seems like it’s in all the way, but it must not be. Or any other suggestions besides swap the auto for a 5-sp? I already have one of those too.
    Last edited by bacon; 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM.

Did you compare the new to the old before installing?

I just push in while turning back and forth to get them all the way in. No wiggly jiggly necessary

Comment

• dbruce
      dbruce commented
      Editing a comment
      yes the turbo tc and NA tc are different I believe

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/L3N71B.html

TC-DA14 Torque converter, E4N71B, L4N71B, N4A-EL (Lock-Up)
      Diameter -11", Pilot - .785", Mount - 4 Pads, Splines - 20
      Notes - 9" Bolt Circle, 1984-91 200SX, 300ZX, 810, 929, ConquestCodes: G, L, ZB

TC-DA34 Torque converter, E4N71B, L4N71B, N4A-EL (Lock-Up)
      Diameter -10" (Clutch Omitted), Pilot - .785", Mount - 4 Pads, .650" Tall, Splines - 18
      Notes - 9" Bolt Circle
      1984-89 300 ZX V6 Turbo
      Codes: N (NE, NG, NEO, etc.)

Thanks for your suggestions guys. My Z is an 88T. The transmission failed a few years ago so I had an 86 NA trans installed. I was getting TC shudder so I got an 87T trans and bought a TC from OEM surplus. It was advertised as a turbo model to fit 9/86-89, #31100-X8181, so it should fit the 87T trans. It went into the trans ok but was jammed against the flywheel when I bolted the trans to the engine. Here is a photo of it (left) next to the original from the 86 NA (right). No wonder it didn’t fit. So now I am still shopping for a TC; both transmissions are good so I would be happy to get one for either. BTW, neither of these TCs had any numbers on them. I had them sitting on the floor next to each other with the OEM in a box so I didn’t notice the height difference and didn’t think to check that. Drat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bacon; 08-22-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

fyi ... Level Ten AT mods:

http://www.mygen.com/users/dbruce/my...on_Install.htm

Comment

Working...
      X