Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z31 clutch and flywheel replacement

Hi
    I was looking for some help with what flywheel I need for my 300zr. When I purchased the car it had a twin disc clutch but I'm looking to return it to stock. The flywheel that was originally installed is not playing with the stock clutch the shop purchased. I'm just looking for someone who knows which one will work. I have the fs5r30a transmission.

Flywheel and clutch on the car initially

20181119_131719.jpg
    20181119_131722.jpg
    20181119_131658.jpg

Your crank in the photo is an 8bolt pattern whereas a Z31 is only 6bolt, Someone probably put a Z32 crank in it to run the dual clutch setup.

So essentially, you are looking for a Z32 flywheel. Z32's had the 8bolt crankshaft pattern.

Which size flywheel you need would depend on what clutch the shop purchased.

Z31's had 240mm (84-86 early87NA) and 250mm (late87-89 na&Turbo) flywheels.

Z32's also had 240mm (NA) and 250mm (TT) flywheels. TT flywheels are physically larger, requiring spacing of the starter.

Z31 clutch bolt hole patterns are different between 240mm flywheels and 250mm flywheels for their respective clutches. Unless it is aftermarket like a Fidanza and drilled for both sizes

I would say, you need a Z32na 240mm flywheel and a Z32 or Z31 240mm clutch kit.

If i'm wrong or missing something, someone will chime it

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I appreciate the help. I will forward this info to the shop and hopefully we can get the right setup.

Comment

Great catch on the 8 bolt crank ZKarma.

The 300ZR came with VG30DE, hence the 8 bolt crank. You need a VG30DE (Z32) setup like ZKarma said.

Comment

Hi to follow up. We have been unable to get any of the 240MM flywheels to work. Measuring the diameter of the current flywheel is showing 12in so 305mm? Is there a place that may sell Japanese only parts like this flywheel? Or would switching back to a 6 bolt crank be a viable option? Thanks again.

Comment

What exactly doesn't work about the 240mm flywheels you have tried, does it not fit the crank, or not fit your chosen clutch.

I was wrong about assuming someone had swapped the crank:

Originally posted by Dunkine View Post

The 300ZR came with VG30DE, hence the 8 bolt crank. You need a VG30DE (Z32) setup like ZKarma said.
            I would agree that you need a VG30DE/Z32 clutch and flywheel setup.

Comment

The number of teeth and the diameter were off for the two flywheels we tried. The flywheel that was on had 120 teeth and measured 12in. the shop said the teeth pattern was not lining up with the starter (see above picture). I called z1 motorsports and even they said the z32 NA flywheels for the VG30DE would not work for me. so im at the point where im assuming i can only find what i need in japan or try to find a clutch that will fit.

Comment

• Dunkine
                Dunkine commented
                Editing a comment
                You could also try checking the Nissan dealerships in your area to see if they have Z32 flywheels in stock and take your flywheel in and match it up size/tooth wise. If you have a JDM shop near you that imports engines or a Z specialty shop, you could try there too.

damn, that sucks.

By "diameter were off" does that mean that when the starter is mounted, does it interfere with the Z32 flywheel?

I could think of a couple options that might work with a welder and a machine shop, but nothing bolt on.

Someone asked awhile back about slotting the housing to move the starter outward, but i don't know if he did.

You might try posting on the Facebook group for a better response, hardly anyone comes here anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/z31-club-2210811087/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/241323636069510/

Maybe even a European or English jdm group that is more familiar with the 200zr

Comment

I appreciate the advice and ideas. I will reach out see if anyone can help

Comment

• Dunkine
                  Dunkine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Feel free to toss some more pictures of your 300ZR on, we'd love to see them.

Ah for sure! I will throw some up once shes back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Karma View Post

...hardly anyone comes here anymore.
                  Guilty as charged... I've had so much life going on, haven't had a chance to work on my Z in a couple years... depressing actually. The most I can do is live vicariously through the car shows on TV and places like this. I was actually hoping for some motivation by stopping by. I read Matt Zerega's VG35E thread a minute ago... he's using the forum for what it's intended... as is Grim...

Not to jack the thread, but I'm gonna make it a point to swing by more often so I can work up the enthusiasm to get off my butt and get my car on the road again. I had a build thread going, but when Photobucket changed their terms and stopped allowing hosted pics, it just took the wind out of my sails (for the build thread, not the car). I'm glad to see Z31P is allowing pics as attachments, but it isn't quite as seamless as embedding them. I'm just going to need a few weeks to get things in order around my garage, then plan to pull the engine for a rebuild. In the meantime, I'm going to keep watching the new posts and continue learning where I can, helping where I can...

'86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Got-mine-back

Comment

Working...
                  X