84 AE -- Shifter came off in mid-drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 AE -- Shifter came off in mid-drive

Well, here we go again. So, the shift assembly came right out of the transmission while I was driving in the city. Lost all gear changing ability. Luckily, traffic was light and I was able to push her off to the side and into a parking spot. After removing the center console and exposing the shifter housing, I discovered the entire shift stick came up out of its hole due to a broken and/or missing securing tab on the metal retaining ring that is riveted onto the rear-end housing shift plate (the square piece that surrounds the shifter with the 4 securing bolts). There are 3 metal tabs, 2 on the front and one in the back which is the one that is clearly been broken off. Luckily, I was able to put the shifter back in temporaily so I could get the car back home, however it easily comes back out making it unsafe to drive in this condition, so I am seeking some assistance for a solution.

Found a few options. 1) get a B&M short throw shift kit that has a new housing or 2) get another housing plate from an old T-5 transmission. this is the piece with the 4 bolts.
    I would rather prefer to use the stock shifter and not go with the short throw as I do not want to have to deal with the adjustment screws that prevent the forks from getting bent or breaking.
    Please take a look at the attachment showing the shifter plate for the 90A series transmission.

My car is dead in the water. I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Any help?
    Thanks.

Bon - just another day in the life of a Z

Attached Files
Working...
X