Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car won’t move, speedometer is moving

Something is wrong. The car won’t move.

Today was going to be my test drive for the new suspension I just put in. Prior to me doing the work I did, I was having trouble shifting into any gear when I first started the car. The last time I started the car I had to put the car in gear to start and put some force into my first few shifts. I figured it was my clutch pedal adjustment because i was having to push the clutch pedal all the way down to release the clutch.

Fast forward to today...

After adjusting the clutch pedal and watching the slave cylinder, I sat the car down and started it up. Shifting was really easy with the clutch depressed. However, when I let go of the clutch (in neutral) I noticed immediately that Betty was telling me that the parking brake is engaged. She only says this when the car is moving above 3 mph or so. My speedometer was also reading about 1 or 2 mph.

Obviously I am not moving with the e brake on, so I let go of the e brake and shift into reverse no sweat. I release the clutch pedal, the speedometer jumps to 4-5 mph and the clutch starts making some grinding sounds like it’s catching the flywheel, still not moving though.

I adjust the clutch pedal back to where I was before and same situation, car is not moving, something is making contact in the bell housing.

At this point I am extremely confused. The output shaft turns the speedometer meaning that the flywheel is making contact, but my driveshaft isn’t moving, that I checked visually with a partner in the car. It’s not like my brakes are causing this because the car would just die. One thing I did note is that my clutch fork is extremely easy to move back and forth, something which I don’t think should be happening. My hypothesis is I popped the clutch fork off the mount in the bell housing. Any ideas? I’m at a loss.
    '85 2+0 Turbo

If you put the car in gear with the engine off and jack up one rear tire, can you spin the tire with the e-brake off? what all did you take off when you did the suspension change?
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

I can turn the tire with the e brake off. What’s more, I’ve narrowed down my issue. The drive shaft turns with the engine, idk what I saw the other day. It doesn’t turn with the axle. However I just removed my axle and it is identical with the old one. The diff turns with the engine.

This leads me to believe that the new diff mount I have purchased has put the diff too high and is not allowing the axles to catch the diff output splines. I find this weird because the drive shaft moved with the axles when the car was up on jacks. How is this possible?

Im going to contact z31online and see what’s up, if I installed it incorrectly, etc

or, ya know, maybe I installed the effing diff upside down because I am a dumbass.
      Last edited by waynedwops42; 02-03-2020, 09:22 PM.
      '85 2+0 Turbo

Comment

Figured it out. Axles on the wrong side. I didn't even know they were different lengths. Car drives fantastic, drove it into work today. Pushed it up to 80 on the freeway, no vibrations yet. Time will tell.
        '85 2+0 Turbo

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
          --------------
          Legal stuff:
          **Nissan Employee**
          Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
          '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
          '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
          '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
          '00 Corolla-- kids car.
          '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Working...
          X