Odometer Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer Wiring

This is the motor for the odometer on my digital dash 86 z31. My odometer hasn't been rolling so I popped it open to hopefully fix it. Is there a wiring diagram for this thing or doesn't anyone know what each wire is? Or how to test if the motor runs? Thanks!

Did you check the speed sensor first?
    I didn't see any wiring diagrams for the motor in the Service Manual. Just has an arrow off microcomputer. There's info on the speed sensor though.
    http://xenonzcar.com/z31/FSM/1986/EL.php

Comment

• areebashar.23
      areebashar.23 commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought of that's will do as soon as the snow storm in Calgary passes

For anyone looking to figure out how to test this: here it is. The motor for the odometer is a stepper motor. To check if the motor is good, grab a multimeter and set it to voltage DC. Then grab ur prong things and put one into yellow and the other into blue. Spin the motor by hand. If you get moving numbers that set of windings in the motor is good. Do the same thing again but with green and red. If you get voltage on both tries, ur motor should be fine.

Comment

If the speedometer works, then the speed sensor is good. if the speedometer doesn't work, then the odometer won't work either. Simply put, if the odometer is not working, but the speedometer is, then it's not the speed sensor.
      --------------
      Legal stuff:
      **Nissan Employee**
      Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
      '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
      '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
      '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
      '00 Corolla-- kids car.
      '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• areebashar.23
        areebashar.23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotchuuuu, my speedo works perfectly so I guess that ain't it. There was some resistance when I tried to spin my numbers maybe some dirt or something jamming it?
    Working...
    X