Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 GLL Auto Climate Blower Will Not Turn On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 GLL Auto Climate Blower Will Not Turn On.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I could really use some help. I picked up a pretty decent 87 Gll 2+2 and I have stacks of maintenance records. The water pump failed a year ago and it sat until I picked it up. The issue is the Blower is not turning on. No settings turn it on. I bench tested the Blower motor and it works fine. The compressor gets cold and all is fine except the Blower. Please help. Thank you

There is a fan control amplifier in the blower housing you might also want to check.

It's PN 27266-01P01, unfortunately it is discontinued.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

• dbruce
      dbruce commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy I went thru that years ago when you Could get the part , it is the fan amp . and that was my 85 analog climate car . If the parts unavailable then whats the solution ? Salvage ? geez.

The thing is a variable relay ... the input is a variable low amperage rheostat the output is variable amperage to the blower
      Last edited by dbruce; 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM.

I appreciate that, I have been trying to find something along the lines of a amplifier or resistor. Would you by chance have a diagram or picture? I've tried finding something around the bottom of the housing and had no luck with the motor out

Comment

Thanks for your help, I found it and removed it. Does anyone know how to test it? I've been searching online for the part and I am wondering if it can be rebuilt. I'm good with soldering so that isn't a problem

Comment

I would imagine that if you disassembled it, you could identify the components on it and source new ones from Digikey. If there is a capacitor on it, those are prone to failure due to age. I'd maybe start there.

Comment

I went to a local bone yard and they had a 87 and the amplifier was still intact. I installed it and it still doesn't blow. So either that used part was defective or there is a different issue. Not sure what to do.

Comment

I found in a thread i looked up yesterday that there are different part numbers for that amplifier between analog climate control and digital climate control. Maybe if the 87 was analog that could be it?
            Otherwise my next step would be to try another GLL controller.

Comment

The one from the bone yard was the same part number. I saw in one of your older posts that you took one apart and reflowed the solder. I see 4 spots that appears to be where you separate the two halves. They are tabs that look to be bent in. Does that sound right?

Comment

shit..I did? can you link it, lol. It must have been when i was having issues with the one in my 84T.

nvm, found it.

https://z31performance.com/forum/z31...gh-please-help

iirc, it may have pried apart when the tabs were folded back, that sounds right.

but idk, if i didn't remember servicing it in the first place I wouldn't trust me
                Last edited by Z_Karma; 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Lol that's good stuff. Ill look to see if I can find out some more info. I appreciate your help

Comment

When the blower fan went out in my 88 GLL the cause was a failed relay in the relay box behind the driver side kick panel. Another one is in the relay box in the engine bay but that one checked out ok.. I swapped those out with known working relays to identify the bad one.

Comment

Thank you, I will check into that and update the thread.

Comment

So it turns out it was the wire going into the relay socket, it was corroded and in bad shape. I jumped a wire from a good section and to the relay socket and low and behold it worked. Now I need to replace either the wire and where it goes into the socket or the socket(s) themselves. Any advice?

Comment

I would start by just trying to replace the wire; that would be the least work. Was that in the engine bay or behind the kick panel?

Comment

Behind the kick panel.

Comment

Working...
                            X