Gauges Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauges Not Working

I just bought an 88 na with about 128k. everything looks great, no leaks. the temp gauge isn't working. the fuel gauge didnt move but I think it just actually has no fuel in it (i havent put anything in it yet to find out) and the oil pressure gauge goes all the way up and stays there. after i shut the car off, the gauge stay all the way up for a while. sending unit issue? gauge issue? or actual pressure issue?

Unfortunately these cars suffer from faulty sensors and gauges, so it's conceivable that they could be fuckered at both ends.

Sensors:

The fuel level sender is accessible through the rear hatch. You can pull it out, reconnect it to the harness and manually move the float up and down to narrow
    down if the sender or the gauge is defective.

I swear oil pressure sensors are a consumable with older Nissans. I'd replace the sensor to see if the gauge works properly.

Same with temp gauge, cheap to replace, not to difficult to remove.

Gauges:

Usually the cause is faulty/cracked solder joints and possibly aged capacitors (more common in the oem stereos) in the circuits. This board member touched up the solder joints and got his working again.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I believe it is the senders. The fuel and temp gauge both had come on for a few minutes the other day. Im assuming that since the worked for a minute it is likely the senders going out. I believe the oil to also be the sender since the gauge is still turning on and moving, it just goes all the way up and stays there. I dont think it is actually a high oil pressure issue.

Comment

Oil Pressure was just the sender. From what I found the sender for the temp change is the sensor on top of the head. I Changed that one and still have nothing for the temp. Other ideas?

Comment

Test the sensor to see if it was the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X