Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badq45t
    replied
    Okay, sorry to double post, I found it seems like it is connected fine. I am going to buy a new cable and new unit and bring to my mechanic, z31partsforyou has a unit that is tested working (god I wish I could buy a new one). The way it cut out seems like the cable might have snapped, it was very sudden, do you think I should buy a new cable too?

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Thanks for the information this is a diigital dash and I the dash itself is fine, I showing a zero on speed but everything else works just fine. I will check the cable, I have no way of seeing it spin sitting in my garage but I at least have an idea of what to tell my regular mechanic what to check. I lost the cruise, trip meters and instant gas mileage at the same time which I assume all run off the accurate speed. So it could be the cable or the unit, I will try to see what I can figure out.

Leave a comment:

• mwolvinm
    replied
    Troubleshoot the speed sensor first. I'm assuming that you have a digital dash-- if so, the speed sensor is located on the firewall side of the passenger side strut tower., between the fender and the cruise control actuator. Things to check-- disconnect the cable going into the bottom of it and verify it's spinning when the wheels are turning. If it is, hook that back up. the next check is to ensure you are getting voltage and a pulse signal out of the units. There's 3 wires-- power (it's either 5v or 12v, I can't remember which), ground, and signal. Power to ground should net constant voltage with the ignition on. You should get a pulse signal to ground any time the unit is spinning.

Leave a comment:

• bonfire79
    replied
    sounds like your dash power supply has gone out. are you seeing anything light up on the dash? also note that if it is only the speedometer not working and always showing zero, your speed sensor has gone out.
    if your tach meter is showing zero then your boost sensor has gone out. all these things ended up going out on both of my cars haha. its very common.

so, your power supply which based on your description sounds like the culprit, is located under the dash next to the steering wheel, in the area above your right knee. just remove the lower trim panel (be sure to disconnect the footwell light) and look up and you will see the box. its held up by two bolts and a plug. little pain to get out, but why its in there you can check the connection by pressing down on the plug going into it. try this while your car is on and watch your digital dash and see if anything changes.

if you find that your box is bad, have it sent to the guy at xenonzcar. he does the repair for about 75 bucks. i sent him mine and it works great.

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/DigitalDashRepair.html for reference

Bon

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    started a topic Digital Dash down to 0

Digital Dash down to 0

Well did a bunch of work to the car 400 miles away from home and 1/2 way home the speed goes to ZERO, the cruise control cuts out and trip meters and mileage go out. Is there some magic Nissan box that failed??? Of course I had it at a Mechanic that would have solved this one if this happened on the way DOWN but NOOO.

What magic box is this?
Working...
X