• Show
Clear All

• badq45t
    replied
    Shoot AB201 is for 1983, so close!

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Yes nice surprise $30 for keeping an older car running idiots. I am going to join that FB group, given how few 25+ year old cars are left out there as daily drivers it is just a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• waynedwops42
    replied
    Don't say that you'll jinx it...

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    And new surprise for CA this year, they charge an extra $30 fee for cars over 25 years old even if they pass smog, there are times I want to pack my bags and leave CA but not gonna do it. So happy with speedo working, smog good for 2 years and fresh timing belt, water pump etc. No gremlins!!

Leave a comment:

• Reds89
    replied
    Originally posted by badq45t View Post
    She's passed smog in CA for 35 years.....the stupid law in CA was for 25 year old cars to be except and they changed that law so 1975 or older, bastards!
    I hear ya. There is a FB group called Californians for Classic Car Smog Exemptions that supports AB210 that would abolish the 76 and up rule for a rolling 25 or 35 year. The amount of emissions cars over 25 years old are emitting is minuscule these days.

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    She's passed smog in CA for 35 years.....the stupid law in CA was for 25 year old cars to be except and they changed that law so 1975 or older, bastards!

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Finger crossed that it will. I did EGR Valve several times now and Cat 2 years ago, I will let you know if I pass. I also have the speedo cable and speed sensor from Steve, hope that is fixed too.

Leave a comment:

• Reds89
    replied
    Let us know if you passed smog!

Leave a comment:

• bonfire79
    replied
    you're welcome dude. glad to help. CA.... i love california but your smog laws are insane. there is no way any of my Z cars would ever pass. if you still fail, check and make sure your EGR valve is installed and working. that may help.

Bon

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Thanks, I think I am going to pass smog the Cat is only 2 years old so it better!!! I am going to the guy that installed it and fingers crossed it wil pass, I live in CA and they test your gas tank to make sure it is still tight, which always scares me, thankfully the gas tank still makes a nice sucking noise when I open to fill the tank. I also ordered the parts from steve and they are on the way! Thanks Bonfire!!

Leave a comment:

• bonfire79
    replied
    CM, has a website that you can order from. the system uses bolts, not clamps, from the turbo exaust going back, so it is direct fit. I ususally call Dave and tell him what I need. A few years ago he built me a 2.5" SS mandrel bent turbo-back exhaust system for my 87 2+2 with a straight pipe and muffler with seperate dual tips. but he also sells pieces individually.

now, I had to replace the cat on my 84 recently, so I got the part from CM and the shop I took it to told me it needed all these modifications to fit.... but honestly I think they just scammed me. but the cat is on there now and works fine (this is with the factory exhaust). your best bet is to pick the part you want, in this case the cat; remember to specify fed or california car, and then call and talk with Mr. Dave and tell him exactly what you need.
    I loved the way the exhaust looked and sounded on the 87

and yeah I really like what Steve does. he's really one of the last used part Z specialsts around. I'm glad he's there. when i can't find it, he usually can.

Bon
    Last edited by bonfire79; 11-07-2019, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Thanks dude really appreciate your help. I printed out the instructions on replacement for the sensor. I also had to do the cat for the 2nd time (not bad for 35 years of service) 2 years ago when I was due for smog. Is certified muffler a mail order?? I had to cut and weld in the new one two years ago as I couldn't find a bolt on one, do these bolt on?

I also did the exhaust many years ago still in great shape, aftermarket magnaflow I think but that was so long ago cannot remember.

I may actually get away without having to spend $500 this time smog test as I think I have replaced everything! I have bought from Steve before so I know his parts work, just fixed the compass (broken for 5 years) with the little brain and have bought plenty of other stuff from him, always in exactly the shape he describes and always work!

Leave a comment:

• bonfire79
    replied
    no problem. glad to help. I can vouch for SteveB. I've bought many of his parts and i never get let down. the speed sensor I got from him still works. you might want to replace your cat converter if you're having smog issues. Dave at certified muffler has them available. hell, get yourself a complete new exhaust system from him if you want.

Leave a comment:

• badq45t
    replied
    Thanks Bon, appreciate the advise. I have an email into steve already for the parts, I am horrible at DIY so I will let the mechanic do it, I have to get a smog test anyways so easy to have him throw it in and hope that is the problem. Steve's website indicated he has a tested working unit. The cable is only $27 so I am going to order this as well just in case so I have it in hand but I think your right that this is just the sensor unit.

Leave a comment:

• bonfire79
    replied
    don't go throwing parts at it. i wouldn't get a cable unless you know its faulty. most likely your sensor is bad. these do fail after years. mind did on my 87. i replaced it and the speedo worked again. mind you it was used from Steve at 300zxpartsforyou, so it wasn't new. but this is the reality. better to have a working used unit than a faulty non-working unit. there may be a way to troubleshoot it still... have you gone over the FSM and looked at the speed sensor unit system? read pages EL-70, 71, 72 in the online FSM at the website i mentioned earlier.

i'm not an expert on the speedo cable, cruise control, or trip meters; but i'd be willing to say those stopped working because the car lost its ability to sense the driving speed. think about it, among the other factors here, the cruise control system uses the vehicles speed to set, resume, and accellerate speed; the trip meters use speed to calculate distance traveled and so on. so, if your speed sensor fails, the car will have no way of determining the actual speed in order for these other systems to function and so logically if it goes out, then they go out too. if by chance you find that your speed sensor isn't bad, then go from there and check the cable.

and you don't even need a mechanic to replace your speed sensor. its very easy to access and you can swap it yourself.

Bon
    Last edited by bonfire79; 11-05-2019, 12:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X