Pops in 2nd gear at WOT around curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pops in 2nd gear at WOT around curve

Recently, I've been having trouble with my L28ET/300ZX ECCS motor.

I let it warm up tonight (it's so COLD!!!!) and then I took it for a drive. It was running great. I did some 3rd and 4th gear pulls and it was boosting and spooling better than ever.

I went to take the left turn onto my street in 2nd gear and I floored it coming out of the turn. Sure enough, it does that "I need more gas" pop thing and fizzles out. Then it goes back to normal. Now, my old 1981 ECCSPOS did that sometimes which is why I went to 1984 ECCS.

I cleaned up the ECU contacts, put in new gas, etc, etc. It otherwise runs fine.

I'm thinking that perhaps the fuel pump is the culprit, but I really don't know. I just have the stock 1976 280Z N/A fuel pump. Maybe it's finally giving out??
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

im not familiar with your current setup, but when my efi setup was totally stock i had the same symptoms when my O2 sensor went bad.

Comment

Sounds electrical to me. Check the obvious stuff first, like battery cable (the battery is tied down, right?) and fusible links, etc.
      Chuck Stong
      300+ Parts and Performance owner
      http://www.300-plus.com
      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

How about having a partial tank of gas? Mine will starve for fuel around longer corners if I don't have 1/2 tank or more in it. All the gas gets pulled to the side of the fuel tank because the car pulls over a G lateral when the tires are warm. Then when I start to roll into it coming out of the corner it just pops and sputters and gets all pissy with me. Just worth considering.

Comment

It just needed gas, I guess. I auto-X'ed it today (lots of 2nd gear WOT around curves!) and it never popped. Ran good all the way to the track and back.

It's odd because I've never had this problem before.
          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
          "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: How about having a partial tank of gas? Mine will starve for fuel around longer corners if I don't have 1/2 tank or more in it. All the gas gets pulled to the side of the fuel tank because the car pulls over a G lateral when the tires are warm. Then when I start to roll into it coming out of the corner it just pops and sputters and gets all pissy with me. Just worth considering.
            Do you still have the baffels in the tank? I never had this problem on any of my cars with way less than half a tank.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

interesting i had no idea the 84 vg ecu would work on a l28 seing as how they are totaly different engines good info to have.

Comment

6 cylinder....

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                  Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                  How about having a partial tank of gas? Mine will starve for fuel around longer corners if I don't have 1/2 tank or more in it. All the gas gets pulled to the side of the fuel tank because the car pulls over a G lateral when the tires are warm. Then when I start to roll into it coming out of the corner it just pops and sputters and gets all pissy with me. Just worth considering.
                  Do you still have the baffels in the tank? I never had this problem on any of my cars with way less than half a tank.
                  Stock tank. I can't explain it, it just does it.

300zxmaniak wrote:
                  Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                  interesting i had no idea the 84 vg ecu would work on a l28 seing as how they are totaly different engines good info to have.
                  They have a lot more in common than most people realize.

Comment

Working...
                  X