Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey so remember how i thought i flatspotted my tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey so remember how i thought i flatspotted my tires?

well today I came around a hard corner and the whole thing started shaking like crazy! it felt like the whole car was going to come apart. At first I figured that I blew a tire because i've been really mean to those tires trying to round them out. Anyways I slow down, get out of the car, all of them are fine!

I limped the car to the shop. at 5-10mph its smooth but anything more than that and it feels like it wants to come apart, it shakes like crazy and makes a loud clanking sound. I just parked it and hopped in the subaru. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow but I figured I'd get a few ideas first.

What could I have broken? what are some likely trouble spots? I can't think of anything for the life of me!
    Funny stories!

Too many things to guess. I would check everything that rotates first. I know, not much help...
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

after talking to a few people, i'm thinking that i pulled one of the U joints out. I'll keep you guys updated. I'm going to the shop later this afternoon
      Funny stories!

Comment

sure you've got all the lug nuts on tight? and the wheels are backed all the way down onto the rotors?

I noticed that when i tried the 350z wheels on my grand prix.. the bearing cap cutouts aren't big enough, so it's cinch onto the lugs, but it wasn't pressing the rotors in. It made clanging noises and felt very bad in the ride department.
        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: sure you've got all the lug nuts on tight? and the wheels are backed all the way down onto the rotors?

I noticed that when i tried the 350z wheels on my grand prix.. the bearing cap cutouts aren't big enough, so it's cinch onto the lugs, but it wasn't pressing the rotors in. It made clanging noises and felt very bad in the ride department.
          thats funny, I was just thinking the same thing.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

this is what i would do before i tossed a large amount of money at it (it was the problem with my last 240sx and also it happend on my 200sx, i believe they all have the same diff);

my first guess is that you have a LSD and that the surfaces have got enough build up to interfere with one another, pull the lower plug out of the differential drain the fluid. remove the upper plug force some gear oil in there with some force and attempt to spray it on the surfaces that you can from there, and let it rinse out. then just reinstall the lower plug, and fill it to just below the upper plug. take it for a slow ride around the block and be sure she has gotten better. (also DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE PLUGS, they are pipe threaded and will bond with them selfs)

if it has gotten better but not compleate just repeat the process.

this can all be done for around $15, depending on what type of oil you choose to go with, but if you are gonna be thrashing on it i would buy some good stuff.
            85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
            95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
            85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
            69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
            89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

Comment

1 check lug nut tightness
              2 check wheel balance. or just put on another set of wheels
              3 check front end out while car is in air to change tires mainly the strut rod bushings

Comment

Working...
              X