breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breakdown

so i was on the high way last night and i was doing about 70 mph and i couldn't accelerate or maintain my speed. then i pulled over to the shoulder of the road and she stalled out shortly after. i turned her over and she sputtered for a little bit until i hit the gas then she boofed. I did that for a few times and had the same results each time till she just would turn over and not start.

I got it towed home and had a buddy turn it over and the plugs were arcing like a bitch so my first guesses are plugs and wires, the cap and rotor are looking pretty clean. I know i need to pull the codes and see what i get because my sensor light has been on since i got it. im thinking map sensor.

i was able to get plugs today but no wires are available in the area. any other suggestions on what to look for.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

i took a look at that a couple of days ago. ty though. Do you think the oxygen sensor would kill the car
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

Comment

i did the wires today and still got nothing... i still have plugs to install so i was thinking it might be a screwed fuel pump. idk i need to go and grab a spark checker so i can rule out the coil cap and rotor. all my tools seem to be mia.
      DD:
      86 Black Turbo 5spd
      The Fallen:
      Parting Currently:
      Garage Sale

Comment

o2 sensor WILL NOT kill the car, it will actually run just fine (albiet rich) without the sensor even hooked up. This sounds like a fuel delivery problem Change your fuel filter and while you have the fuel line disconnected, turn the key to the ON position to see if fuel comes spraying out when the pump primes. If it doesnt, or you don't hear the fuel pump prime, replace fuel pump and try again.
        Funny stories!

Comment

will the walboro 255 work as a replacement without any other mods

also as far as fuel filters go is there an aftermarket one that you guys recommend
          DD:
          86 Black Turbo 5spd
          The Fallen:
          Parting Currently:
          Garage Sale

Comment

weird

so i ran out and tried starting the car (its on a battery charger). She started up and started this loud ass whine.... I'm like wtf so i shut it down. It sounded horrible.

im going to check the fluids any other guesses

o and the coil and spark plugs work. i used a spark tester
            DD:
            86 Black Turbo 5spd
            The Fallen:
            Parting Currently:
            Garage Sale

Comment

MADMIKE wrote: will the walboro 255 work as a replacement without any other mods

also as far as fuel filters go is there an aftermarket one that you guys recommend
              Walbro will work fine. Use a Z32TT fuel filter.
              Originally posted by Andrew84zx
              tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Walbro will work fine. Use a Z32TT fuel filter.
                ty for the help. im going to go hunt those parts down.

o and lastly i was looking at the car quickly this morning before work. when in the on position i heard a light buzzing, not fuel pump priming, so i tracked it tothe passenger side right in front of the the rear tire. i couldn't figure out what it was in the fsm before i left. any guesses
                DD:
                86 Black Turbo 5spd
                The Fallen:
                Parting Currently:
                Garage Sale

Comment

walbro's are so cheap that its almost good to do just for preventative maintenence! 100 bucks for a fuel pump that will support 500whp sound like a winner to me. and yes tt filter.
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

hmm cars working fine again, well better because of the ngk wires and plugs i threw in it. It probably the pump fritzin out on me so i'm still going to replace it. I'm calling the local junkyards about picking up the z32tt pump. if i cant find one for a decent price then im going to go with the walbro.

ty everyone for your help so far i appreciate it
                    mike
                    DD:
                    86 Black Turbo 5spd
                    The Fallen:
                    Parting Currently:
                    Garage Sale

Comment

Your phone call sparked my curiousity....(I wasn't up to full speed with what the issues are that you're having)
                      *Are you sure it's the fuel pump?
                      ~A few things to keep in mind:
                      The fuel pump is part of circuit that involves being controlled by the ecu, which is controlling the relay. The ecu can under certian circumstances, lower the voltage to the pump to keep it quieter when fuel is under low demand.
                      I have seen only 1 instance personally where the trace in the ecu burned apart. My resolve was to just hardwire the relay the ecu was controlling.

You also mention in one of your posts hearing a sound coming from the same general area that the fuel pump relay is located.....
                      This makes me believe that there is a possibility that it isn't the fuel pump, that it may be the ecu or the relay itself.
                      If you take a peak at the Engine Management section on this site, there's a Sticky with directions to help you further diagnose your problem rather than just throwing money and parts at it and hoping foir the best. If it was in my shop...I'd be eliminating the relay and ecu as the culprit before doing what you are thinking.
                      8)
                      Dan
                      I am here to help...

Comment

i'll take a look into it, ty dan. I really need to do a full tune-up and start pinpointing the other problems that remain after that. This car has a hundred things wrong with it. I might not fix all of them but i want to get the major ones taken car of and begin restoring it.

i'll post a photo of what was buzzing. I had tracked it to a unit in front of my rear passenger tire. On a side note while under I was there i found the leaks in my exauhst while i was under there *cough*
                        DD:
                        86 Black Turbo 5spd
                        The Fallen:
                        Parting Currently:
                        Garage Sale

Comment

Working...
                        X