transmission issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission issues

Well last night after i finished installing momo pedals i was driving along and out of no where it started acting retarted .

I was driving down the road going like 15 in 1st and when i tired to push the gas to rev it beyond 3000 rpms it would act like i was pushing the clutch down or i had the car in nuteral .. So i shifted into 2nd and it would rev freely ....

So i took my foot of the clutch and off the gas in 1st going like 5 mph and it wouldent stall ... all the sudden the clutch pedal dropped to the floor..
    i pulled into the nearest parking lot by coasting ... I put it in n and pulled the ebrake ... took a look in the engine bay with a led flashlight and nothing all all seemed wrong every thing was in place...

I got back in the car and it clutch pedal was back up.. i could put the car in gear with out pressing the clutch in and it wouldent stall NOR move...

I got it toed home and im thinking maybe the flywheel is hanging off its crank or some thing...

Because when i tried to start it i could hear the starter spining but it wasent catching onto any thing ... After a few tries it catched on and started ..

any ideas?

Woah, sounds crazy.

Hopefully nothing like jasons flywheel issue

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

yeah once i get to it ill let you know what it was.

Comment

Or maybe your input shaft broke?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Broke clutch maybe. Let us know what you find.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

well i stared to take the tranny out about 1 hour ago and im almost finished .

i took off the starter and it was filled with broken peaces of what looks like to be the clutch disc , The previous owner put some 99 dollar clutch in it from ebay and i think it just went out due to aggressive use.

the stuff has like copper looking like small pieces in it.

Comment

Uh OH...Could be a pilot bushing/input shaft issue!

I always like to think worst case scenarios right off.

Dan 8)
              I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: I always like to think worst case scenarios right off.
                werd. That way you'll always be pleasantly surprised when its not!
                Funny stories!

Comment

Wow i got the transmission off and there was no surface left on the clutch disc at all..

heh i wonder what causes that ?

Comment

Yeah, I was right. So what did I win? :lol: Likely it is just a cheap clutch. I have had nothing but problems with off brand clutches and refuse to install them in customers cars.
                    Chuck Stong
                    300+ Parts and Performance owner
                    http://www.300-plus.com
                    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

S742DUS7 wrote: Wow i got the transmission off and there was no surface left on the clutch disc at all...heh i wonder what causes that ?
                      Too much heat,,,wrong material for the application.

So do you need a clutch kit or what?
                      :wink:

Go DXD and never turn back!
                      I am here to help...

Comment

Wow. I've never seen that much clutch dust...
                        Looks like it's time for a SBC/DXD clutch from Dan
                        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Heh i need to replace it today , So i think im just going to go with a 170 perfection kit.

Comment

S742DUS7 wrote: ... took a look in the engine bay with a led flashlight and nothing all all seemed wrong every thing was in place...
                            that's the kind of thing men with no grasp of mechanics do heh
                            Attached Files

Comment

S742DUS7 wrote: Heh i need to replace it today , So i think im just going to go with a 170 perfection kit.
                              We'll visit the topic again when you toast this next one and then maybe you'll concider a quality piece so you don't have to go through all these hassles again.

8)
                              I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                              X