Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A secondary method to test for a blown headgasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A secondary method to test for a blown headgasket?

Well, I was out tuning and managed to melt off the electrodes to two sparkplugs.(Cyl#2&Cyl#6)

I knew something was up becuase the car dogged out and felt wierd.
    I nursed the car back to the shop and popped the hood. The coolant bottle was full and bubbling.(Temp. gauge and Nistune showed acceptable temperature)

*I started the car, and pulled it into the shop and proceeded to pull the plugs and check compression.
    All numbers show ok.(1,2,3,4,5,6...145/145/145/140/150/145)
    I replaced the rad. cap and thought that might be the issue, drained the over flow back down and topped the coolant off, then let the car warm-up again.
    After it was warm, I rev-up the engine a few times and bubbles proceed to show in the overflow.
    I'm concerned and don't want to waste my time with a teardown if it isn't needed.
    *Shouldn't a blown headgasket show in the compression on a warmed engine?
    *Shouldn't I be getting alot of white exhaust?
    *The oil is the same color as usual, the coolant is the same color as usual...just this bubbling over flow bottle....??????
    **Ideas?, Opinions?, Alternate way to verify a problem here?
    Dan
    I am here to help...

Nope!

**HEAD GASKETS CAN PARTIALLY BLOW!

I just found this out.
    :cry:

I stopped, but not soon enough. I found that by the time I got the wires off and the plugs out to do a compression check that the engine cools enough to not allow any signs of a blown head gasket.(so I figure??!) I do get a very small amount of whitish exhaust when I rev-up it up and let it drop to idle.(But that is hard as hell to tell for sure because it is friggin cold out and the exhaust is steaming anyways.)
    *Truth be known, the coolant overflow bottle will not show any bubbling action even when allowed to idle and warm up to the point where the e-fan cycles on/off. It only starts to show bubbling action after it is warm and I tug on the throttle a few times...from there on out, it will bubble.

I wonder if it is worth the time to pull the plenum, and re-torque the head bolts(I haven't done this since I initially torqued them when it was assembled last) The engine has less than a tank of gas put through it now...
    I'd be so pissed to find that I pulled it apart to do the re-torque and wasted time/along with another upper plenum gasket, just to find out that the issue is still there.
    *How many people actually pull the plenum after the initial run-in to double check/re-torque the head bolts?
    RRRR..I might as well order another set of gaskets and just swallow the pride and pull it all back apart again.
    :roll:
    Dan
    (Atleast the valve train and compression is good still & now I know that the amount of backpressure created from a clipped wheel and this set-up means that 16psi is the max!)
    I am here to help...

Comment

You could try retorquing, but I would just replace the head gasket and find out what caused the problem in the first place. Typically once a gasket deforms enough to let out pressure, a retorque will not fix the damage.
      Chuck Stong
      300+ Parts and Performance owner
      http://www.300-plus.com
      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
      X