Another no start thread........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another no start thread........

My 87 NA has been running great until the other day. I went to start it and it just cranked, would not turn over. Then after a few tries the engine wanted to start, it roughly idled at 300 rpms. Gave it some gas and it was just rough and stalled. I checked over some things and now it will not even come close to starting, all I can hear is the starter motor cranking.
    I did check the codes and got a 31 so CHTS. There may have beeen another code or two. I admit to being a little frustrated. So I ordered a CHTS and harness, already have the old one out. Will have the new one Monday. For some reason I think this is more than the CHTS. Any ideas on what other areas I should check besides the CHTS? I did not think a bad CHTS will make the car completly unstartable?

you are right, the chts will not cause a no-start.. check for spark and fuel.. pull off a plug wire while someone cranks for you.. see if you get spark.. now listen to the fuel injectors with a screwdriver while someone cranks, you should here a clik every second or so.. report back with that info

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: you are right, the chts will not cause a no-start.. check for spark and fuel.. pull off a plug wire while someone cranks for you.. see if you get spark.. now listen to the fuel injectors with a screwdriver while someone cranks, you should here a clik every second or so.. report back with that info
      Or pull the pipe before the throttle body, open the butterfly spray some starting fluid in there for about 2 seconds jump in and crank it over. it should run for about 2-3 seconds if you have spark. If it does, you have a fuel issue. If it doesnt then you either have a spark issue or a spark timing issue. You didnt pull wires and not pay attention to where they were did you? Did you pull the distributor or anything? Kinda wierd that it just stopped from starting all together.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

do a poor man's tune up: plugs, wires, cap+rotor, fuel filter, and oil change.

that'll fixit
        Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: do a poor man's tune up: plugs, wires, cap+rotor, fuel filter, and oil change.

that'll fixit
          Poor mans tune up? that just sounds like a normal tune up to me minus the air filter and pcv valves.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

homestar wrote: do a poor man's tune up: plugs, wires, cap+rotor, fuel filter, and oil change.

that'll fixit
            Everything is new, less than 7,000 miles

Comment

I will work on the car more on Monday.......I was thinking something.

A couple times in the last month, when I went to start the car. I got this awful noise when I turned the key. Same noise that you get if you turn the key and your car is already running. In my case I was just turning key to staart car. Next try on starting car all was normal. Once again that happened a couple times in last month. Now my starter motor is cranking and sounds fine, Is it possible for the starter to not be engaging? Although it is cranking? I never had starter problems on any of my z cars. I did check the codes again, and I am only getting a 31. The car does have spark. Still could be a fuel issue also.

Comment

Paullew29 wrote: I will work on the car more on Monday.......I was thinking something.

A couple times in the last month, when I went to start the car. I got this awful noise when I turned the key. Same noise that you get if you turn the key and your car is already running. In my case I was just turning key to staart car. Next try on starting car all was normal. Once again that happened a couple times in last month. Now my starter motor is cranking and sounds fine, Is it possible for the starter to not be engaging? Although it is cranking? I never had starter problems on any of my z cars. I did check the codes again, and I am only getting a 31. The car does have spark. Still could be a fuel issue also.
                So does the starter just spin and never touch the flywheel/driveplate? Is that the sound you are talking about? What do you mean sounds fine? like the engine is actually spinning while you try to start it?
                "Simplify and add lightness."
                "Adding power makes you faster in a straight. Losing weight makes you faster everywhere."

Comment

I know what sound you're talking about. The grinding...ewww..

I think what happens is there's a problem with the starter gear retracting...or something.

I just bought a new starter, and it fixed it.
                  It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Mero, it sounds like the starter is cranking and not spinning the engine at all. And when the car did slightly start and run around 300 rpms before stalling it sounded like the starter just got a little spin on the engine.

Domdogg, that is the answer I was looking for. That sure is a possibiliuty here. Although it can be many things. I have to look into this more on Monday.

Thank-you guys for the help.

Comment

if the starters spinning and not making contact with the *edit* flywheel/flexplate you will be able to hear it, as it will be spinning very fast and will make a loud "CLICK" as the bendix kicks in and out, does it sound like its trying to start, like it did when it actually ran? or is it a real loud, but smooth "CLICK -then- VROOOM -then another- CLICK!!!" type thing, without the engine even turning over?

(thats the best i can do with using words, haha)

good luck
                      85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
                      95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
                      85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
                      69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
                      89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

Comment

another way to check is to use the fuel temp senso as your chts. run the wires there and give it a shot.
                        Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

[quote]zmech wrote:
                          Originally posted by Chris86NA2T
                          you are right, the chts will not cause a no-start.. check for spark and fuel.. pull off a plug wire while someone cranks for you.. see if you get spark.. now listen to the fuel injectors with a screwdriver while someone cranks, you should here a clik every second or so.. report back with that info
                          Actually I had an 87 in our club that would not start with a bad CHTS. If you want to check that really quick, just place a resistor (2~3 kohms) between the two pins of the CHTS harness and try to start it. Very easy check and it came right out of the FSM. It basically tells the ECU that the head temp is about 68 degf.

Also, pin corrosion is a killer on sensors. Check all your plugs for signs of corrosion and clean them. Sitting the plug in a fresh COKE overnight will get rid of corrosion pretty well. Make sure you fresh water wash them after and dry them with a hairdryer. If you use some dielectric grease on them afterwards it will help resist corrosion.
                          My cars experiencing the corrosion factor and i bought some neat spray with a brush from Radioshack. It works great.

Side Note: Make sure your connections are DRY. My car wouldn't even idle with little amounts of water on the TPS plug (from when i tried baking soda and water)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

When a z just won't start all of a sudden, the first things I suspect are the afm and cas. Check those first, even if you don't get a code.
                            Chuck Stong
                            300+ Parts and Performance owner
                            http://www.300-plus.com
                            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I had a similar sort of problem. Mine turned out to be a dead cat converter.

Although mine did backfire and blow a heap of smoke out near the cat before it happened :shock:

Put a rag on the end of your exhaust and crank it over, see if you have a blockage in there. I would do what others suggested first, ie spark and fuel but if that's all good check the cat.

Comment

Working...
                              X