Keys and ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys and ignition

Have 1986 300ZX Turbo Automatic. Key will open all doors and hatch. Will fit in ignition and turn from lock to off, but will not start car. Digital dash is not in car, we just want to do a compression test on motor. Had locksmith make key from ignition. Any ideas??

huh?

Did the key used to work and now not?

The key will not turn to the run and start position but will turn enough to release the lock button for the ignition switch?

Did you check the glove box for the Key code sticker?
    Any (almost any, some are retarded) Nissan Dealer can produce the appropiate key if things are all oem equipment based on that code on the sticker in the glove box.

Does this info help at all?...Answer the questions!

Dan 8)
    I am here to help...

Comment

key

Key is a replacement key made by locksmith.

Glove Box has no key code.

Car is stock 86 turbo.

Yes key will turn from lock to off but not to run or start.

Comment

EZ FIXTHE KEY ISN"T THE PROPER CUT OR THE TUMBLER IS BROKEN)

Quit paying a lousy locksmith. If there was an issue with the tumbler, any locksmith worth his salt would be able to determine that when making the key in the method you described.

Go to a salvage yard, or watch e-bay for an ignition cylinder.
        They typically sell for around 50-75 bux with the key.
        They are not too difficult to unplug remove/replace.

If it wasn't "cold as a witches tit" here, I'd pull the spare I have in a parts car sitting outside for you and sell it to you.

Dan 8)
        I am here to help...

Comment

I've got one I can hook you up with for cheap in my 85t with the key in it. That is if the car is still around when I get back.
          It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

My86T still has the Key and cylinder. maybe ill pull it before i junk it

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Go to a salvage yard, or watch e-bay for an ignition cylinder.
              They typically sell for around 50-75 bux with the key.
              They are not too difficult to unplug remove/replace.
              sells new @ autozone for $45. it is one bitch to install though
              KILL HADJI

Comment

NO...stop the press.

If your old key worked to stat the car then it should know.

I drove my 84 after the accident with no dash, interior other than the driver seat and steering wheel several times. :twisted:

Plug in the right crap and it will work, dash or not.

You have an electrical connection issue not a key issue.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: NO...stop the press.

You have an electrical connection issue not a key issue.
                  So there is an electronic locking mechanism that will keep the switch from entering the acc. position in an auto car?
                  imagination is a virtue

Comment

Is the wheel turned all the way to one side and locked?

I know that screwed up a couple times on my car.
                    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Wheel will not lock...?!?

Domdogg123 wrote: Is the wheel turned all the way to one side and locked?

Comment

[quote]Xtremed01 wrote: Wheel will not lock...?!?

Originally posted by Domdogg123

The key is not ground correctly. I had this happen with my new keys. I had a bunch of spares that came with the car...but they were so worn out that the locksmith basically told me they were worthless even though I was able to start the car with them and open all the locks. He said if he tried he would probably ruin my good new key. So I told him just do it and I'll pay even it doesnt work. He did it, and it didnt work...I came back and said "can you grind it down a bit more? I'll pay you again" and he did and it worked and still works daily.
                        http://www.vgpowered.com
                        Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

Called another locksmith, grinded the key down, still does not work. Any answer to that question about something electrical effecting it from turning?

[quote]babydude wrote: [quote=Xtremed01]Wheel will not lock...?!?

The key is not ground correctly. I had this happen with my new keys. I had a bunch of spares that came with the car...but they were so worn out that the locksmith basically told me they were worthless even though I was able to start the car with them and open all the locks. He said if he tried he would probably ruin my good new key. So I told him just do it and I'll pay even it doesnt work. He did it, and it didnt work...I came back and said "can you grind it down a bit more? I'll pay you again" and he did and it worked and still works daily.

Comment

Graphite

[quote]Xtremed01 wrote: Called another locksmith, grinded the key down, still does not work. Any answer to that question about something electrical effecting it from turning?

[quote=babydude][quote=Xtremed01]Wheel will not lock...?!?

Ok another thing you could try that happened to someone I know.
                            Go buy some graphite lube. smear it all over your key and insert it in and out of the ignition, and try turning it to the on and off position (dont force too much) but put a little
                            effort into it.

Also, whats the history of this car? Where's the original key? Did the car work with the original key?
                            http://www.vgpowered.com
                            Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

try rocking the wheel back and forth a bit while turning the key sometimes on my Z the wheel would lock and i would have to do that to get it to turn over. also try starting in neutral see if the tranny is electricaly fizuked
                              DD:
                              86 Black Turbo 5spd
                              The Fallen:
                              84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                              Parting Currently:
                              86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                              Garage Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X