Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drivetrain vibration problem

this is regarding my 86T project

rear is up on jacks and put in 1st gear. At 800 RPM's car shakes real bad. Removed driveshaft to isolate engine/trans...no vibration.

87T trans and driveshaft. 88na diff/axles, everything...all of which I've never had a problem with.

I did not swap the differential companion flange from the turbo diff because the 88na bolted right up to the driveshaft.

nothing appears to be wrong or out of place but I haven't visually inspected the rear because the car won't idle.

comments?

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

a driveshaft out of balance will shake the car to bits...even at low RPM's...make sure the balance weights are still intact on your driveshaft just to rule out something obvious. Is there any noise that accompanies this vibration?

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

problem solved...cause unknown though

driver's side half shaft is broken at the joint near the diff.

I have no idea how this happenned. It was fine when it was in my 88. I just pulled it a day or two ago so it didn't get abused in storage. It just "fell apart."

Luckily, I have a spare, but it's my only one. Over the past 4 years I've abused the fuck out of that diff (welded) and axles with drifting and whatever else and I've never had a problem. This just seems weird.

It's only 5:15...the little bitch could make a test run tonight if I get to work...

Later!

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

You prolly had your drive shaft bolted on 180 degrees from what it was balanced as. Yes you can do that.

When you put it back together you probably just accidently put it back the right way.

Allways mark the shaft before you pull it.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

My Buddy is still having issues with his E30 drive shaft (2 piece) he just has to go 1 spline at a time every tiime he has the car apart in that area.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

SATAN wrote: You prolly had your drive shaft bolted on 180 degrees from what it was balanced as. Yes you can do that.

When you put it back together you probably just accidentally put it back the right way.

Over the last few years I have probably pulled the drive-shaft on my NA 5-6+ times, front, back or both. I didn't mark a dang thing ever. I cant imagine I got that lucky that many times. :shock:

Sorry but I may be misunderstanding how the drive-shaft is balanced to position. :shock:

Just for argument's sake...how is balancing a drive shaft all that different than balancing a wheel? Does a wheel care if it is reinstalled 180 out...nope...it is balanced to turn properly regardless of its position on the hub.

Sorry but Ive never heard of a drive-shaft being "balanced" to the specific car and position. How the heck would the manufacturer even do that? I just don't see it. :shock:

If the shaft is balanced on its own then how would the position of its install be a consideration unless there is an out of balance issue in the transmission or differential?

Perhaps I am missing something here???
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

[quote]OR-Zman wrote:
              Originally posted by SATAN
              You prolly had your drive shaft bolted on 180 degrees from what it was balanced as. Yes you can do that.

When you put it back together you probably just accidentally put it back the right way.

Over the last few years I have probably pulled the drive-shaft on my NA 5-6+ times, front, back or both. I didn't mark a dang thing ever. I cant imagine I got that lucky that many times. :shock:

Sorry but I may be misunderstanding how the drive-shaft is balanced to position. :shock:

Just for argument's sake...how is balancing a drive shaft all that different than balancing a wheel? Does a wheel care if it is reinstalled 180 out...nope...it is balanced to turn properly regardless of its position on the hub.

Sorry but Ive never heard of a drive-shaft being "balanced" to the specific car and position. How the heck would the manufacturer even do that? I just don't see it. :shock:

If the shaft is balanced on its own then how would the position of its install be a consideration unless there is an out of balance issue in the transmission or differential?

Perhaps I am missing something here???
              No, your not missing anything. I dont understand it either. I agree with you. BUT, for some reason the manuals tell you to mark the drive shaft when you pull it out so you dont install it 180 degrees out. :shock: I dunno
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

each shaft is balanced on it's own so ....

maybe they expect some wear in the joint or deflection of the companion flange.... not much sense to me

Comment

^Thanks guys. I will be doing this soon myself when I swap out the entire rear end and I was actually a tad worried about it after reading the previous posts.
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                  X