X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I approve the Rear Crossmember Temporary fix

$2 worth of electrical tape and 30 minutes later. no more clunk

when its not 18 degrees outside ill put in oem rubbers
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

i agree...the tape mod has been used on my car for a couple years now..it never clunks anymore.

Comment

I have no idea what i am missing out on here. But i don't have a clunk so i never looked up a solution :lol:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Yeah I used a chunk of a tire a long time ago. Worked great.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Electrical tape?.. how did you do that because my rear crossmember "clunk" is bad and i hate it!

Comment

the tape mod is pretty simple, there is an easy way and an eaier way.

1. Jack up the rear of the car. (you can remove the wheels, but it is not necessary)

2. place jack under rear crossmember, to hold tension (the rear shocks will prevent the rear end from falling)

3. remove the (2) 14mm bolts and the (1) 17mm bolts on each side of the rear crossmember.

4. loosen the (2) 14mm and (2) 17mm bolts holding the differential mount to the chassis, but do not remove them.

5. lower the jack 2 inches. take 1 roll of electrical tape, slice it in one spot so you can spread it open. pry down the front crossmember and spread the roll of electrical tape over the stud between the crosmember and the chassis. repeat process on other side.

6. jack rear suspension back up over the studs, reinstall all hardware.

now you have basically made a temporary rear crossmember bushing to eliminate that "clunk". some people go years like this, however i reccomend replacing the bushings eventually.

PLUG: I used TSS solid bushings on my 88ss, and they rock! thanks dan!
            Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

im not sure how they would fit but im thinking that you could use hockey pucks with the middle drilled out. not really sure if they would fit in the crossmember but i think it would be a more of a permant cheap fix

Comment

Wow.
                What a great simple solution...anyone have pics?

EDIT: (Sorry necro post...didnt realize that till after I posted...) :lol:
                Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
                2000 frontier for work.
                2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Comment

i've never heard of this before i'd also like to see some pics if possible
                  Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

Comment

Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                    1986 300zx Turbo
                    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

This just seems stupid to me.............but I guess whatever works for a TEMPORARY solution. :lol:
                      - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

It's amazing what you can find on here when you use the "search" button. :-D
                        Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
                        2000 frontier for work.
                        2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Comment

Working...
                        X