What gas mileages are you guy's getting on you stock Turbo Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gas mileages are you guy's getting on you stock Turbo Z

:x :x My new 88T Z is giving me 14 miles to the gallon. It seems to little considering I'm running stock 4 psi boost, CM exhaust, and K&N cone filter.What could I check for.
    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Mine gets about 18 in the city and 27 on the highway. Do a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, CHTS. You still have a catalytic convertor? That might be clogged....will cause bad MPG. Check your tire pressure too.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

Just finish doing a mayor tune up last month, did everything you listed except for the o2 sensor and I don't have a catalytic converter on the car.

Neil86t is your Z stock :?:

Comment

No it is not stock. But when it was stock it did get about the same MPG.
        Attached Files
        Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
        1986 300zx Turbo
        2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
        1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

Well, it isn't exactly stock, but I am running stock boost with factory 88t ecu... close enough?

I have no cat and i managed 26-27 on the highway home. I haven't driven around town yet to know for sure what i get in town. I used to get 25-26 hwy with when it was NA/auto/cat. My in town mileage used to be pretty poor (16ish), possibly due to the frequent short trips. I hope that improves with the manual gearbox. I shift in a very economic fasion %99 of the time.
          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Depends alot upon how you drive. If you stay in the boost all the time, thats good mileage. I get 26+ highway on my beater, and I have gotten 30 when driving around 60 on the highway (traffic is good for something I guess). Sounds like it might be time for a new O2 sensor.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I haven't checked what I get on the highway.What are you getting wile driving on the city.

Comment

mario88ss wrote: I haven't checked what I get on the highway.What are you getting wile driving on the city.
                I never really check that, and I don't do enough to really be able to check, either.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

02 sensor.. what is that?

I get about 25-26 mpg when i go to santa barbara and back. That has a big ass hill and i usually go about 75-80 mph
                  Attached Files

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Generally speaking the NA should get better mileage than the turbo and an NA to T conversion shold get better mileage than a like turbo car. 9:1 compression and all that jazz.

However, modifications can hurt your mpg. Some people (Jason) has been able to tune for power and mpg with Nistune and whatever else he is using :shock: . I don't want to quote him on this but I seem to remember him saying that he is getting very high 20s on his HP beast. :shock: Go figure.

MPG is a very subjective item really. It can vary depending on a lot of factors.

My significantly modified 85NA is getting about 25hwy and who knows in town. As comparison my completely stock 84NA got 30 on the highway running at 70 for hours. After I modified it I was at the 25. Stands to reason that when I swapped the engine to the 85 it gets about the same mpg. With tuning I hope to increase overall power and mpg. Contrary to conventional wisdom those things don't have to be mutually exclusive. :wink:
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

my na gets 22 mpg driving at constant 22 wtf and everything has been replaced expect o2 sensor

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: However, modifications can hurt your mpg. Some people (Jason) has been able to tune for power and mpg with Nistune and whatever else he is using :shock: . I don't want to quote him on this but I seem to remember him saying that he is getting very high 20s on his HP beast. :shock: Go figure.
                        Thats because cruising and WOT are at different parts of the fuel map, and totally different animals. You can tune your AFRs in the crusing section until the engine starts missing in order to get the best fuel economy, somewhere around 15 and 16 AFRs.
                        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Working...
                        X