Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

i cant get my stupid car to pass emissions! err. stock exhaust, air filter, stock boost, 93 octane, and garenteed to pass... i falled by like a few numbers on each gas. and iv tryed 3 times.the timing is advanced like 2 degrees. any one have any info....?

TurboZkid wrote: i cant get my stupid car to pass emissions! err. stock exhaust, air filter, stock boost, 93 octane, and garenteed to pass... i falled by like a few numbers on each gas. and iv tryed 3 times.the timing is advanced like 2 degrees. any one have any info....?
    Slip the guy a $20 or a case of beer?

My uncle used to put something in the gas to get his various vehicles to pass...I don't remember what it was though....
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

well, you should pass if you can get it to run leaner or get your AIV to run constantly. The AIV pumps filtered air into your exhaust thinning it out if I am correct. If you could get it to run leaner it would pass.

I think. Who knows, its late. GL

Comment

run some marvel mystery oil in your gas tank. run two cans of it and it'll clean your injectors for better flow and a better spray pattern. and you're mileage will jump about 2-3 mpg

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... atch_type=

Comment

And run the shit out of your car on the way there. Burn off the carbon deposits (supposedly) and put the cat at a optimum tempature.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I am a fan of Marvel Mystery oil as well. Good stuff and I run it every couple tanks. Wont hurt and can only help if mixed per directions.

The lean and the hot cat ideas shouldn't hurt.

My guess is that you have a faulty part(s) in the Emissions group that is causing this.

Another idea is to Sea Foam the intake. This is if you havent recently (last 20K) cleaned the living crap out of everything internal.

Basically you spray the Seafoam into the intake, preferably before the TB. ( vac line after the AFM, don't do it before the AFM :shock Use your other hand to manually keep the rpm up. The car will want to bog and die, but if you keep the rpm up it will run rough while it cleans and burns and spew all kinds of black smoke out the back. It will look like diesel exhaust and sound about the same. A lot of that crap coming out the back is build up in your upper end and plenum. Keep it running for a couple minutes after you are done spraying and then go drive it. It will feel like crap for several minutes but it will burn all that junk out and you will then understand why this is a good idea. :wink:

Believe me, if you've never really flushed and cleaned a stock plenum or cut one open you cant imagine the amount of crap that can build up in there over the years.

The Seafoam should clean the bejeezus out of stuff in there. You can go a step further and remove the misc parts attached to the upper plenum and clean the crap out of them as well. This may be a good idea anyhow. Carb cleaner has worked well for me.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: I am a fan of Marvel Mystery oil as well. Good stuff and I run it every couple tanks. Wont hurt and can only help if mixed per directions.

The lean and the hot cat ideas shouldn't hurt.

My guess is that you have a faulty part(s) in the Emissions group that is causing this.

Another idea is to Sea Foam the intake. This is if you havent recently (last 20K) cleaned the living crap out of everything internal.

Basically you spray the Seafoam into the intake, preferably before the TB. ( vac line after the AFM, don't do it before the AFM :shock Use your other hand to manually keep the rpm up. The car will want to bog and die, but if you keep the rpm up it will run rough while it cleans and burns and spew all kinds of black smoke out the back. It will look like diesel exhaust and sound about the same. A lot of that crap coming out the back is build up in your upper end and plenum. Keep it running for a couple minutes after you are done spraying and then go drive it. It will feel like crap for several minutes but it will burn all that junk out and you will then understand why this is a good idea. :wink:

Believe me, if you've never really flushed and cleaned a stock plenum or cut one open you cant imagine the amount of crap that can build up in there over the years.

The Seafoam should clean the bejeezus out of stuff in there. You can go a step further and remove the misc parts attached to the upper plenum and clean the crap out of them as well. This may be a good idea anyhow. Carb cleaner has worked well for me.
              I have never liked the idea of cleaning the intake by having all that stuff run through the cyclinders. I would just pull the intake to clean it.
              Attached Files
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

TurboZkid wrote: i cant get my stupid car to pass emissions! err. stock exhaust, air filter, stock boost, 93 octane, and garenteed to pass... i falled by like a few numbers on each gas. and iv tryed 3 times.the timing is advanced like 2 degrees. any one have any info....?
                You need to retard your timing to help it pass, like 10 degrees.
                Chuck Stong

Comment

[quote]Neil86t wrote:
                  Originally posted by TurboZkid
                  i cant get my stupid car to pass emissions! err. stock exhaust, air filter, stock boost, 93 octane, and garenteed to pass... i falled by like a few numbers on each gas. and iv tryed 3 times.the timing is advanced like 2 degrees. any one have any info....?
                  Slip the guy a $20 or a case of beer?

My uncle used to put something in the gas to get his various vehicles to pass...I don't remember what it was though....
                  I bet it was denatured alcohol. Use about a quart per tank.
                  Chuck Stong

Comment

you need to figure out what is not working, post the numbers.

Comment

If you wanted to, you could get some top end cleaner.

We did it to this izuzu rodeo in auto to make it pass. Just used carb cleaner (in a bottle, not a compressed can one) popped off a vaccum line and sucked up about 2 pints of that. Hold at 2k while doing this.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                        Originally posted by TurboZkid
                        You need to retard your timing to help it pass, like 10 degrees.
                        the first try it was retarted about 10* and it was double the limit on all three

HC GPM - 6.10 LIMIT - 2.25
                        CO GPM - 42.38 LIMIT - 23.74
                        NOX GPM - 6.17 LIMIT - 3.25
                        CO2 GPM - 677.45

2nd try 2 degrees advanced w/ 2 tanks of gas with Garenteed to pass aditive

HC GPM - 2.41 LIMIT - 2.25
                        CO GPM - 26.01 LIMIT - 23.74
                        NOX GPM - 4.92 LIMIT - 3.25
                        CO2 GPM - 635.63

Comment

alright, here's how i get all of my vehicles to pass emissions:

first of all you have to understand that there are 3 types of emissions:

hydrocarbons, Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), and carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide emissions will be high if your Cat isn't functioning properly. Hydrocarbons are the product of a low exhaust temperature, if this is the case try to lean it out, and piss pound the car before you take it in, try to get the engine temp as high as possible. If it's an automatic, brake torque the living shit out of it! This one can also be helped by leaving the AIV running fulltime. NOx emissions are the result of a high exhaust temperature, if this is why it's failing, make sure the EGR system is working properly and disable the AIV. Contrary to popular belief, cleaning the intake plenum out has little to do with emissions.
                          Funny stories!

Comment

z

Comment

how can i adjust the fuel on a stock Z 31

Comment

Working...
                              X