Bad day gets worse- starting related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad day gets worse- starting related

ok so i spent the night before last outside swapping an alternator from my 84 to my 86 2x2. i've never done the job so i had a copy of z-bums maxima upgrade page printed out as a guide. with limited light and cold fingers i finished at sometime just before day brake after snapping a few bolts. i jumped the black z a little after breakfast and went down to autozone before open to test the "dead" alternator it checks out so all the work was for a good cause. but there was still a great deal of deflection in the alternator belt that i couldn't budge so i snapped the bolt. i ran to the hardware store i worked at for like 5 yrs and borrowed some tools and worked on the back loading dock. i tried e-zout -ing the bolt with a right angle drill and had no room so i resorted to having to heat, lube, wiggle for about a half hour to back out the half of a bolt with a needle nose vice grip. i then snapped the tensioner. i came prepared and cleaned up the replacement with a wire wheel so i wouldnt snap it. all-done belt is tight car is ready.

bolts broken then swapped over from parts car
    top bolt on pulley tensioner.
    bolt that holds small wire into alternator
    snapped alternator staying bolt
    alternator tensioner bolt

no start damn it the battery needs to be charged so my buddy throws it on the shop battery charger and we go inside to grab a drink. when i came out i could hear clicking and buzzing coming from the area where my injectors and distributor is. quick as fuck i un-hook the charger and it stops i look in my car my key was set to the on position. im like shit so i shut off the key and i jump it with the charger. it makes a sound, i shit you not, like the starter skipping on the fly wheel, so i try again and it makes an attempt like and doesn't move, sounded like a dead battery trying to start. so at this point im confused we tried dragging it with my buddies 02 ram 1500 when i dropped the clutch the rear wheel would just begin dragging. tried that a couple times and then left it in the parking lot over night. this morning my buddy tried starting it for me and same result souonded like a dead battery a quick thud then nothing.

ok so at this point i have one of a few issues that come to mind
    maybe the starter is blown - seems far from likely due to it doing anything
    ignition system maybe all fubar including but not limited to the ecu
    not sure if it was possible but could the injectors filled my cylinders with fuel thus leaving no room for the engine to compress and do a full cycle to turn over. reminds me of a bound up lawnmower that was tipped so it has oil in the cylinder and the only way to fix it is tear it down or muscle it over until it works...... i hope i didnt blow the engine

idfk so hit me up with help i have a parts car to work with so nothing but an ecu is out of my grasp, other than that i will tow it to my shop and start a tear down or swap the starting components. i thank you for any help on the matter and im sorry for the length of this post but i thought as much detail as possible would help the cause.

ty, mike
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

First things first, check your battery trminals and make sure they are on super tight and not corroded. Peel open the original boots and unwrap the OEM elec. tape as corrosion often hides under there. OK good...

Make sure everything is correctly plugged in on the back of the alt and the that the battery bolt is snugged down tightly. Many accidentally finger tighten them on and forget to torque down. Ask me how I know...

Throw a load tester on your battery. If your original alt was bad then it probably drained your battery. After so many drains a battery will not take a charge, regardless of how long you leave it on the charger. Hence, trying the pop-the-clutch-while-moving-trick isn't working because there isn't enough juice to run the fuel pump or any other elec. circuits.

I would buy a new battery first just to eliminate that variable.

Comment

i'll try that but i think the battery is good i'll run it on the shop tester when i bring it up there later this week. ill try my battery from the parts car that i was driving till i took the alternator out 2 days ago.

still no reason for it to sound like death though, ie that skipping starter noise.
      DD:
      86 Black Turbo 5spd
      The Fallen:
      Parting Currently:
      Garage Sale

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: You posted one very important thing. Wheels skidding while car is being pulled by another vehicle. That sounds just like hydro-lock. Pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine. This should blow out the excess fuel or whatever is in the cylinders.

Good Luck!
          i agree with zmech. I did the same thing with seafoam when i bought my 87. I poured it in the lower intake manifold when i had to yank the plenum, forgot to yank the spark plugs, and yea.... it would get about 1/2 turn before it'd sieze. Just hope that you didn't fry anything, yank the plugs and turn away.
          Attached Files
          Funny stories!

Comment

SWEET DEAL
            if i was gay id blow ya

lol jk

i'll pull the plugs tommorrow
            does the plenum need to be removed
            DD:
            86 Black Turbo 5spd
            The Fallen:
            Parting Currently:
            Garage Sale

Comment

CAUTION!!!!!, DO NOT forget to disable the ignition!!!!! Can be done by simply unplugging the coils power wires. (the only connector on it)

hate to see you ignite a shit load of fuel escaping your cylinders.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: CAUTION!!!!!, DO NOT forget to disable the ignition!!!!! Can be done by simply unplugging the coils power wires. (the only connector on it)

hate to see you ignite a shit load of fuel escaping your cylinders.
                Good advice! If you don't for some reason, make sure a friend is there to video what happens. :lol:
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

"HELP ME GOD HELP ME TOM CRUISE USE YOUR WITCHCRAFT TO GET THE FLAMES OFF ME"- Ricky Bobby

ok will do i gotta work this morning so i'll head out later on to do this. do i the room to pop these out or does the intake plenum have to go
                  DD:
                  86 Black Turbo 5spd
                  The Fallen:
                  Parting Currently:
                  Garage Sale

Comment

Stock tool kit has a spark plug remover that helps alot.

The answer tho is no, you don't have to

Comment

so yesterday i pulled a few plugs, i couldnt reach all the driver side plugs so ill pull the plenum tomorrow. it shot out a good amount of fuel but i think there is still a bit in those cylinders i couldnt reach because it still wont turn all the way over. im going to pull the battery and the starter out of my parts car. the starter is located low on the passenger side of the engine, right? how many bolts hold that thing in?
                      DD:
                      86 Black Turbo 5spd
                      The Fallen:
                      Parting Currently:
                      Garage Sale

Comment

Two bolts holding it on from the transmission side (14mm), then the solenoid wire and a 12mm nut for the (+) battery cable. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing.

Comment

ill be pulling the starter off the parts car today
                          DD:
                          86 Black Turbo 5spd
                          The Fallen:
                          Parting Currently:
                          Garage Sale

Comment

will a w series engine starter work on a early style motor
                            DD:
                            86 Black Turbo 5spd
                            The Fallen:
                            Parting Currently:
                            Garage Sale

Comment

MADMIKE wrote: will a w series engine starter work on a early style motor
                              Yes, the only difference is the little solenoid energizing wire has a different plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X