Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car won't start.......proof the clutch is 100% toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84z31 wrote: if you have the car in nuetral with the clutch out it should start. mine does.
    that's the answer I needed there.

Starter & clutch master shot out in one night. Shit on toast.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Perhaps the inhibitor relay itself has taken a mystery dump on you.

Try bypassing it altogether and see what happens.

If I remember right (and reserve the right to be wrong) that will bypass faulty clutch switch, faulty ECU signal to inhibit relay, faulty neutral switch, and a faulty relay.

When I did the AT / Manual swap on mine I was going to hook up the clutch switch to the factory harness and for the life of me COULD NOT find the pigtail for it taped to the main harness.

Most people I've talked to said it should have been there but if it is... it's hidden well.

Wound up running my own wiring to from ground and the appropriate pin on the ECU to allow it to control the inhibitor relay.

(Yes... I actually wanted to clutch switch to work... lol)

I don't use the neutral switch at all. Over-engineered redundant failure point as far as I am concerned.

Grab a volt meter and make sure that you're even getting switched voltage to the starter before you assume it's bad.

PT
      - Visit my Z31 Cardomain pages -|- Visit my website! / 73, de AE5NW -

The phrase "It's just the Internet" is not an excuse to be an illiterate dolt.

Comment

Hear me now: I WILL NEVER WORK ON THE CAR WITH A HANGOVER AGAIN

That's right. I said it. Low and behold the problem was with the little f'n switch behind the clutch. My head was pounding too hard earlier today to give it the attention it deserved. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I pressed the button in myself seeing that the rubber piece had decayed. Viola, the ss started right up.

Thanks for all the input, though in the future it may be best to ignore me on Saturday morning.
        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

bemis wrote: have you looked to see if the clutch switch rubber pad under the dash is still intact? if that rubber pad has broken, then the switch wont work allowing the car to start, regardless what position the clutch is.
          It's amazing how such a little rubber pad can make so much difference.
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

[quote]bemis wrote:
            Originally posted by bemis
            have you looked to see if the clutch switch rubber pad under the dash is still intact? if that rubber pad has broken, then the switch wont work allowing the car to start, regardless what position the clutch is.
            It's amazing how such a little rubber pad can make so much difference.
            no shit man. I took a peek after you posted the first time and saw everything peachy with the wrong clutch switch (clutch safety switch that disengauges when the clutch is pressed. Sometimes I'm a total f'n idiot, I didn't think to look for a switch that gets pressed when the clutch is put to the floor until 5:00pm. Nerf.
            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

hmmm. cool. i'm glad mine doesn't have one of those.

glad you fixed it.
              Attached Files

Comment

84z31 wrote: hmmm. cool. i'm glad mine doesn't have one of those.

glad you fixed it.
                Clutch safety switch was for '87+

PT
                - Visit my Z31 Cardomain pages -|- Visit my website! / 73, de AE5NW -

The phrase "It's just the Internet" is not an excuse to be an illiterate dolt.

Comment

soommmmmme bitch, beeen through the same before

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: Hear me now: I WILL NEVER WORK ON THE CAR WITH A HANGOVER AGAIN

That's right. I said it. Low and behold the problem was with the little f'n switch behind the clutch. My head was pounding too hard earlier today to give it the attention it deserved. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I pressed the button in myself seeing that the rubber piece had decayed. Viola, the ss started right up.

Thanks for all the input, though in the future it may be best to ignore me on Saturday morning.
                    isnt that the first thing that bemis said? Somone should smack your hungover ass around. :lol:
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                      Originally posted by Signal 12
                      Hear me now: I WILL NEVER WORK ON THE CAR WITH A HANGOVER AGAIN
                      Originally posted by Signal 12

isnt that the first thing that bemis said? Somone should smack your hungover ass around. :lol:
                      When I'm drunk a stripper smacks me around. When I'm hungover and really need it I get no smacks. Funny how it works. :P
                      Attached Files
                      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Working...
                      X