Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car won't start.......proof the clutch is 100% toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car won't start.......proof the clutch is 100% toast?

I just finished up installing a new master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder. I bled the hell out of the system from both the slave and the damper.

The good news: I have clutch pressure again! The bad news: car won't start. Basically, the car acts as if I'm not pressing in the clutch when turning the key. I looked under the car and the slave is expanding to its full potential to engage the bar on the tranny. Is this proof the clutch is toast?

I'm likely just delaying the inevidable, but I've got a few days before the clutch arrives and I want to drive.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

So your car won't start? Have you tried starting with the gear lever in neutral? If it won't start in gear it would be because the clutch is not dis-engaging, not that it has failed. You still don't have something right. Quite reverting to newbness and think about the problem.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Quite reverting to newbness and think about the problem.
      Harsh Steve, so harsh :cry: . I tried starting it in neutral...no avail. Though I haven't tried starting it in gear.

Back in a few...
      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

gave it a shot, still nothing. It feels like the clutch is fine, I can cycle through the gears, including reverse like normal. When I turn the key fully, the only thing that changes is the security light flashes. Maybe that has something to do with it.
        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

have you looked to see if the clutch switch rubber pad under the dash is still intact? if that rubber pad has broken, then the switch wont work allowing the car to start, regardless what position the clutch is.

have you made sure the solenoid wire going to the starter is still on the starter. It so happens that the clutch slave cylinder and the starter are pretty close in proximity. You may have knocked it off when working under there.

I'm moving this thread to the "newb" section . . .
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

bemis wrote: have you looked to see if the clutch switch rubber pad under the dash is still intact? if that rubber pad has broken, then the switch wont work allowing the car to start, regardless what position the clutch is.

have you made sure the solenoid wire going to the starter is still on the starter. It so happens that the clutch slave cylinder and the starter are pretty close in proximity. You may have knocked it off when working under there.

I'm moving this thread to the "newb" section . . .
            I checked both...they're good. Seeing this is now in the newb section, how do I disconnect the security system?
            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

pulled the fuse in the driver's side kick panel...the security light still flashes. wtf.
              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

disconnected the system from under the passenger seat. Hopes were up then shot down. Still no go.
                2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

I've checked the ignition fuses, starter solinoid, and other electronics. Everything looks good. The alarm is disconnected. I checked the clutch pedal assembly, the safety switch is good.

I looked through the Haynes manual. They mentioned that the flywheel and pinion may be an issue for not starting. Anyone encounter this?
                  2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

This is obviously an electrical problem. Whether the clutch and drivetrain functions or not has nothing to do with the starting of the engine, unless you have done obvious damage to either to such a point that they are locking the engine up.

Maybe your starter just took a poop.
                    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

a little more info as of what you disconnected during the work would help

Comment

88sinZ wrote: a little more info as of what you disconnected during the work would help
                        no prob. I did a few things at the same time: clutch master, clutch slave, bled system. I took off the clutch damper momentarily. I didn't pull apart anything electrical here that I recall.

I also pulled the windshield fluid tank, coolant overflow tank, timing belt cover, a/c idler pulley & plate, waterpump pulley and the battery. I did replaced the rear shocks as well.
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

so it's not at the starter nor the inhibitor switch .

may seem dumb but ,can you check the voltage of your battery?

Comment

nope, battery is good.

I get no dimming of light when trying to start, no clicking from the starter. Nothing. I've been at this since 8:30 this morning and I'm about ready to take a shit in the engine bay and piss in the gas tank.

Let me ask you guys, if (in theory) you had no clutch at all in the car (in a manual trans car), would you hear the starter try to turn or hear nothing?
                            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

you don't hear anything from your starter.

if you have the car in nuetral with the clutch out it should start. mine does.

fix your starter.

Comment

Working...
                              X