No announcement yet.

100 miles to a tank!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my fuel level sending unit was junk so i just replaced it with the new unit. it was easy and cheap.

hmm, i must look into an intake leak and or compression test the car soon. I do get bubbles (more like tiny foam) in my coolant, no signs of oil in it at all.

And the car is low on power, Our 2003 SAAB 9-5 Aero pulls away slowly.

Now if it only was warmer so i can take a look in there longer.

I am thinking already of purchasing parts for the build up.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

Domdogg123 wrote: Hello fuel fumes?
      HAHAHA yeah, not that bad though. The car pretty much smells of exhaust and gas and oil and antifreeze all at the same time ALL of the time anyways anymore.

I dont drive it because its comfortable. :roll:
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

This is killing me. One of the very first things I did when I bought my 84 was to replace the fuel sending unit. $95 I believe. Easy as pie to replace. Hell, I have a spare now if one of you wants it for a few bucks + shipping. (although a wooden dowel will probably only cost a couple bucks)

Could a Z31 even run so rich that it is only getting say 10mpg and still be drivable without major bogging, smoking and whatever? I would think it would be constantly flooding its self out. :?
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: This is killing me. One of the very first things I did when I bought my 84 was to replace the fuel sending unit. $95 I believe. Easy as pie to replace. Hell, I have a spare now if one of you wants it for a few bucks + shipping. (although a wooden dowel will probably only cost a couple bucks)

Could a Z31 even run so rich that it is only getting say 10mpg and still be drivable without major bogging, smoking and whatever? I would think it would be constantly flooding its self out. :?
          Man somone is ripping you off for dowels! I paid .69!
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

^hehehe...ya, I live in the middle of the best timber country in the US and those damn dowels are just out of site. :shock:
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

ever fix your issue?
              Gone - 1988 Shiro
              2004 BMW 330Ci
              2005 BMW 330i

Comment

I recently replaced the CHTS and FPR.
                Gone - 1988 Shiro
                2004 BMW 330Ci
                2005 BMW 330i

Comment

can a clogged fuel filter cause bad mileage? Or maybe 1 bad spark plug?
                  Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Clogged ffuel filter will make the engine starve (lean) and the spark plug has nothing to do with amount of fuel, just ignites it. Clogged air filter will make the engine run rich by starving it of air. I would check the injectors to see if they are leaking or are out of specs on resistance.

Also my 86T has digital dash, and the fuel level rarely ever works. I just drive until the little orange light glows and Bitchin Betty says "warning, low fuel". By then the tank has right about 1-1.5 Gallons left. Usually it takes 17-18 gallons to fill up and got about 320-350 miles on a tank (city driving in Orlando, now I'm in BFE Goergia with the motor/trans ripped out, so don't how much on highway driving).

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

so you basically have a hole in your gas tank or fuel line
                      Funny stories!

Comment

the chts and fpr doesnt seem like helped much as far as gas mileage. have 65 miles on the trip meter. the meter states i have little under 1/4 tank left...

must have intake manifold leaks pretty bad.
                        Gone - 1988 Shiro
                        2004 BMW 330Ci
                        2005 BMW 330i

Comment

Damn Nivo you were not kidding about the gas mileage.. thing with my Z is it will go down to the quarter tank/low area.. and i'll assume i'm low on gas. I'll fill up and only put in 10 gallons yet we have a 19 gallon tank.. float is off maybe? Always done this but I suppose it's not a bad thing if I maintain the mileage. I just changed the oil for the first time since october and it was a bit watery so hopefully I'll see some improvement this tank myself.

Comment

aehs01 wrote: Damn Nivo you were not kidding about the gas mileage.. thing with my Z is it will go down to the quarter tank/low area.. and i'll assume i'm low on gas. I'll fill up and only put in 10 gallons yet we have a 19 gallon tank.. float is off maybe? Always done this but I suppose it's not a bad thing if I maintain the mileage. I just changed the oil for the first time since october and it was a bit watery so hopefully I'll see some improvement this tank myself.
                            i originally thought the float to be bad so i made an order to courtesy and replaced it. it was bad but still I yet to get good mileage with the car. my black '88T got over 400 all highway. or 360 miles mixed driving.

I think i have a bad intake leak....
                            Gone - 1988 Shiro
                            2004 BMW 330Ci
                            2005 BMW 330i

Comment

What you need to do is:
                              -COMPLETELY fill up your tank with gas
                              -RESET your trip meter
                              -GET a 5gallon gas can and fill that up and set in your trunk
                              -DRIVE until you run out of gas and record the mileage
                              -FILL up the tank with the little 5gallon can

I will bet you $20 bucks the fuel tank sending unit is bad, or the harness is bad between the unit and the gauge cluster. Use the FSM to figure it out, as they have about 5 ways to test the whole dealio.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                              1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                              2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: What you need to do is:
                                -COMPLETELY fill up your tank with gas
                                -RESET your trip meter
                                -GET a 5gallon gas can and fill that up and set in your trunk
                                -DRIVE until you run out of gas and record the mileage
                                -FILL up the tank with the little 5gallon can

I will bet you $20 bucks the fuel tank sending unit is bad, or the harness is bad between the unit and the gauge cluster. Use the FSM to figure it out, as they have about 5 ways to test the whole dealio.
                                sorry man already did that... got bad gas mileage still. I ran the car still it stalled.

I replaced the fuel sending unit as described in one of my above posts. the best I managed was 257 miles to the tank.
                                Gone - 1988 Shiro
                                2004 BMW 330Ci
                                2005 BMW 330i

Comment

Working...
                                X