100 miles to a tank!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 miles to a tank!?!?!

well i failed emissions badly and now im sucking down gas like no tomorrow!!! 100 miles to a full tank? how much are you guys getting? i just ordered and o2 sensor hopefully that will help!

doubt it's your o2, unless you're spending hella time sitting in traffic. are you running rich? is the car smoking at all? gas smell in the exhaust?
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

100miles on a full tank?

Sounds like a fuel leak...or your sender is off...

How many gallons did she take when you filled her up.
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

I usually got over 400 miles on a full tank, which is a little over 20mpg.

Comment

i dont remember how many gallons but i think it was about the right amount. it does run rich i failed emissions hardcore.... do you have any solutions to this problem...i thought maybe o2 sensor but...there is no leak that i know of....although it could be the sender.....how would i check?and im only running 7psi too....stock fuel and all..

Comment

its a stock fpr i dont know if that says anything....can the stock fpr go bad and allow more fuel pressure?

Comment

Yes they can go bad.

Here is how to diagnose:
              Pull the Vacuum line off the FPR and see if fuel comes out. If so it is bad. Replace with new.

Comment

Check timing, when I got my 86' it was running balls rich and the timing was advanced WAY too far... Just a thought!
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

yea i just checked the fpr and its good. good vacum is going to it and no fuel was coming out....i think it my o2 sensor...hopefully

Comment

Funny thing is that my z too. I just drove it for 48 miles and its a tad over half a tank. timing is dead on too. I am hoping it's my head gasket being that I am losing coolant and when i fill it it bubbles like crazy. No biggie...
                    Gone - 1988 Shiro
                    2004 BMW 330Ci
                    2005 BMW 330i
                    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
                    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

last time out i filled it up with 17.4 gallons and got 236 miles. this was highway driving.

I'm sorry but when you see 48 miles by the time the needle hits half a tank you know something is wrong. on my black z it hit 160-190 miles or so by the half a tank mark. Or about 9 gallons used...

Fuel sending unit is brand new btw. Fresh tune up, checked timing. Checked codes... 13 and 42. The CHTS was replaced during the timing belt replacement. I also have a new FPR to throw in.
                      Gone - 1988 Shiro
                      2004 BMW 330Ci
                      2005 BMW 330i
                      1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
                      http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

You guys and your fricken inaccurate fuel gauges... You know what I use? A stick! I shit you not!

I welded a -8 bung to the top of where my fuel sender used to be and now slide a 5/16" wood dowel down in it till it bottoms out to read how much fuel I have. DOESNT GET ANY MORE ACCURATE THAN THAT!
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

My fuel gauge is also pretty pathetic. It stays on full for about 20 miles then quickly plummets to empty. It really freaks my passengers out. The weird thing is that the little inset gauge (the red needle that comes only goes up to 1/4 tank, not all z31s had it i think) works perfectly and accurately. So, after i fill up I basically have no idea how much fuel i have 'till it gets down to a 1/4 of a tank. I rarely watch the gauge. The car has two trips why not use one for keeping track of miles per tank. That gives you a halfway decent idea of just how far you have left.
                          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

bet you guys thought I was lying about the stick huh?

85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Hello fuel fumes?
                              It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Working...
                              X