Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing, crank pully snafu

beginning timing belt replacement.

remove spark plug from #1 cylinder and insert plastic rod. Rotate crank until #1 cylinder peaks. Timing indicator on timing belt cover points about 2" clockwise of the right most hole, not the timing marks. Distributer points to #6 cylinder. Rotate 180 degrees and distributer points to #3 cylinder.

WTF?

Car has been running and driving but will not idle at all and is very rough sub 2k RPMs. Power still feels weak above 2k RPMs.

Can/will remove crank pully and proceed with timing belt replacement but wanted to mention this and ask for input. Am I doing something wrong? Did someone before me F up? Motor was pulled from a perfectly running car (rear ended and totalled) and I never touched the crank pully.

You may want to refer to my previous posts
    linky doo
    http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
    http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Does the crank pulley have the 6 or 8 bolts on the front that hold the seperate parts together? If so you might want to take it apart and double check that the different pulleys were assembled correctly. If someone put them together wrong the timing marks could be off even if everything else with the belt and distributor is correct.

When checking the distributor position be sure that you are referencing the contact and not where the spark plug wire attaches. They arent always the same. Also, you should turn it 360 degrees so the distributor will face #1. Remember the distributor turns at half the speed of the crank.

I say double check the crank pulley and then check the timing with a light making sure the tps is adjusted correctly.

Comment

I say, screw the crank pully. Pull it off and check the actual timing belt crank pully/cog to see if that lines up with the mark on the oil pump. If and when it does then go back and fix everything else, starting with the crank pully.
      Attached Files
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I know the distributer is off. Once I got this motor in this car I replaced the dist because the CAS was bad and set it according to the timing marks. So if it ran in the previous Z just fine then maybe you're right in thinking the pully may have been put back together wrong and the belt/dist were OK.

Yes I was referencing the dist to the contact points.

I might as well take it all apart, install new timing belt and put it all back together per Hayne's instructions.

I'm just suprised the car runs with the timing so jacked up.

Comment

2nd the crank pulley...been there done that and had to set timing by ear and drive testing. :shock: One bolt hole off on that thing can drive you to drink if you think it is right when it isn't.

(OK, I will drink for any reason...can we get over that already :wink: )
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

for those unexpected situations
            :lol:

Comment

Or, you can line up your timing belt crank pully or just make sure it is allready lined up. :shock:

Then when you put your balancer back on you will know INSTANTLY if it is wrong or not. Hello!
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Or, you can line up your timing belt crank pully or just make sure it is allready lined up. :shock:

Then when you put your balancer back on you will know INSTANTLY if it is wrong or not. Hello!

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                X