lifter and o2 sensor questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter and o2 sensor questions.

I swapped an 85 turbo from an automatic into my 5 spd 86na. The car runs pretty well, but when i first start it up, I get a lope in the idle. as the car gets warm, I hear a what sounds like a "puff" from the exhaust. The puff is intermitent, not constant, but you can feel it. If it is REALLY cold out and i start the car, i get a knocking sound for a few seconds, and then it goes away. I think one of the lifters might be bad, any way to find out for sure? do these symptoms sound like a bad lifter?
    now for my O2 sensor problem. I had been running the car for about a year with the 85 engine, the FICD off my 86 na, my 86na harness, and an 84 AE computer. I have an o2 sensor from nissan for an 85 turbo. I noticed that my car was running pretty rich. Jason had told me that the 86na harness is not set up for the 85 02 sensor. when I checked the wiring diagram, he was right. I left the blue wire there, moved the wire that went to the 24 pin to the end of the 02, opposite of the blue wire. then i ran the middle wire on the 02 connector to pin 115. with my cheap little AFG hooked up to the 24 pin, the car always reads full blast rich. it also sputters on part throttle accel, not on full throttle. also, when I run the car for a while, and then turn off all loads(heat, lights, etc), the car starts to lose idle and wants to die out. When I unplug the 02 sensor, the sputter goes away, and the caar doesnt want to die at idle anymore. I am still using the ficd from my 86NA, I still have the AAC from the turbo engine when I got it, should I hook that up and see if it helps? I checked over the diagrams, it looks like a pretty simple hookup. Did anyone else run into this problem when doing there NA2T swaps? I also noticed that the 85 wiring diagram has an 8 wire pressure regulator control module that is not on the 86 diagram. does this make a difference? Any help is appreciated.

Ski
    86na2t
    Ride it like you stole it...
    1986 300zx NA2T - CM 3" turbo back, Pathy 3.0 Engine, Custom cold air intake, 255lph Walboro, T3 turbo, 90 shot of nitrous, 30A trans, 88t LSD, Poly everywhere, SS brakelines. 288whp 336wtq
    2001 YZF600 - Sold for Nitrous and Exhaust Upgrade...
    1993 Toyota Corolla - The invincible daily driver, off to greener pastures.
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE - New daily driver

regarding the idle issue.. the wiring for the NA's FICD and the turbo's AAC is different. it sounds like you are trying to control the FICD with a turbo computer and NA wiring. i have the same issue with my car, i just never fixed it, i left the thing unplugged. to fix it properly, you will have to refer to the factory service manual. i looked at it once, its only 4 wires.. but for some reason it got me really frustrated and i decided to forget it.

Comment

was the puff sound a result of your ficd and turbo computer? I'm trying to track down what is making this noise out of my exhaust. Im thinking it might be a sticking valve, or maybe a bad lifter.

When I disconnected the ficd, the idle dropped to about 500 rpm and running not so smoothly. did you simply adjust the idle screw on it up to balance it out? I was thinking about removing the air regulator, ficd and pcv hoses (leaving just the EGR) to clean things up a bit. should I do anything else to compensate for these components being removed?
      Ride it like you stole it...
      1986 300zx NA2T - CM 3" turbo back, Pathy 3.0 Engine, Custom cold air intake, 255lph Walboro, T3 turbo, 90 shot of nitrous, 30A trans, 88t LSD, Poly everywhere, SS brakelines. 288whp 336wtq
      2001 YZF600 - Sold for Nitrous and Exhaust Upgrade...
      1993 Toyota Corolla - The invincible daily driver, off to greener pastures.
      2002 Nissan Maxima SE - New daily driver

Comment

Your exhaust noise closely resembles that from a manifold-to-head connection. Means you probably have some broken studs and when the motor reaches operating temp and everything expands it seals slightly better resulting in less noise. Colder temps will make it sound worse...

Comment

Working...
        X