Help with clutch *pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with clutch *pics*

Hello all, hope you can help. Put a new clutch in, but when I got the trans mated back to the engine, the bottom of the fork was so far back that the slave cylider piston didn't even touch it.

Pulled it back apart, and the release bearing/fork/springs seem to be on right.

There is about 1/2" play between the fork and the pivot ball: is that normal?

Did I somehow mess it up when I mated the trans back up to the motor? Both are out of the car, by the way.

It's my first time replacing a clutch, so please, be frank with your comments.

Thanks.

Do you have the throwout bearing on the wrong way?
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Do you have the throwout bearing on the wrong way?
      I don't think so. It looks like it can only go on the one way.

Comment

Pics

I can wiggle the fork here back and forth about 1/2-1". Is it supposed to be that loose? I don't know how the spring bracket would keep it any tighter.

Thanks

Comment

It looks like its on right. Does the stud have a ball on the end of it? I've seen those break before.

Comment

wagonrob wrote: Hello all, hope you can help. Put a new clutch in, but when I got the trans mated back to the engine, the bottom of the fork was so far back that the slave cylider piston didn't even touch it.
            This may be a dumb question but did you put that little rod back in between the piston and the fork?
            imagination is a virtue

Comment

do you think a bad throwout bearing would cause my car to pull in first but then in second it will just rev and not pull anymore?i was drivin one day and it was fine then i hit second and it just suddenly wasn't really goin anywhere but it was just reving higher
              87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

Steve88t wrote: It looks like its on right. Does the stud have a ball on the end of it? I've seen those break before.
                The ball is there. How tight should the fork be on it? Like I said, it's pretty loose.

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
                  Originally posted by wagonrob
                  Hello all, hope you can help. Put a new clutch in, but when I got the trans mated back to the engine, the bottom of the fork was so far back that the slave cylider piston
                  Originally posted by wagonrob
                  didn't even touch it.

This may be a dumb question but did you put that little rod back in between the piston and the fork?
                  I wish that's all it was. Yes, it was there. Thanks

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: do you think a bad throwout bearing would cause my car to pull in first but then in second it will just rev and not pull anymore?i was drivin one day and it was fine then i hit second and it just suddenly wasn't really goin anywhere but it was just reving higher
                    DAMNIT! This is not related to the thread and you need to start a new one for unrelated content.

wagonrob wrote:

The ball is there. How tight should the fork be on it? Like I said, it's pretty loose.
                    There is a spring that fits inside the fork to hold it onto the studs ball. If the bearing is on the right way (which it appears to be) and the stud is intact (which it appears to be), and the slave cylinder is on properly (which you haven't indicated), then I would start to think the fork is bent.

So is the fork bent or the slave cylinder not on properly?

Comment

the other dude was askin about a throwout bearing,so why waste time making a whole new thread when were already talkin about throwout bearings?i just wanted a simple yes or no,i don't see anything hard about that man
                      87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: the other dude was askin about a throwout bearing,so why waste time making a whole new thread when were already talkin about throwout bearings?i just wanted a simple yes or no,i don't see anything hard about that man
                        NO!

So since the thread was talking about a nissan related issue I thought I'd ask another nissan related question.

The point is don't thread jack. You were not on the same subject and any discussion of your problem takes away from the effectiveness of the thread for anyone reading it with the same problem as him.

You waste an absolute maximum of 0.0000000000000000000000000 seconds by starting a new thread. The buttons all work the same, the host server has to do the same work, everything is the same except the end results. Just start a new thread and be done with it.

Comment

I am not seeing any flaws with your install. If the bell housing was up tight to the engine then you are good there. The slave cylinder really cant be installed improperly as long as the push rod is there. Pivot bolt is apparently in tact.

This is just a shot in the dark but are you sure you have the right throwout bearing. For some reason that one looks thinner than I remember. I don't have one handy to look at or measure but I bet a local parts store will have one you take a look at just to make sure. Like I said...shot in the dark. I cant find flaw in what you have there. Sorry man. Best of luck. :?
                          Just stand back and throw money.
                          Performance costs money.
                          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                          X