Useable parts from an M30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useable parts from an M30

I went to the local pickandpull after work, looking for a turbo Z i could pull an AAC from.
    The only one they had was an +87 NA (strangly enough some old dude was knee-deep in yanking the entire suspension).

So i wandered back up front on my way out and saw an M30 off to the side.
    Knowing its a Z31 in sedan clothing i popped the hood.

There sat an unmolested motor. Looked like a grandma drove it or something.
    The interior was already gone thru no doors or ECU .

The VG30 motor in it had an AAC that you would find on a turbo Z31 VG30ET.
    It was just what i needed. I ran out of time before i could pull the distributor
    (mine has a wobble).

Is there any other parts on it that would be considered an upgrade to a Z31?

I didn't have time to poke around it much, i got to the yard about 20min before closing.

Thanks.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Z_Karma wrote: I went to the local pickandpull after work, looking for a turbo Z i could pull an AAC from.
    The only one they had was an +87 NA (strangly enough some old dude was knee-deep in yanking the entire suspension).

So i wandered back up front on my way out and saw an M30 off to the side.
    Knowing its a Z31 in sedan clothing i popped the hood.

There sat an unmolested motor. Looked like a grandma drove it or something.
    The interior was already gone thru no doors or ECU .

The VG30 motor in it had an AAC that you would find on a turbo Z31 VG30ET.
    It was just what i needed. I ran out of time before i could pull the distributor
    (mine has a wobble).

Is there any other parts on it that would be considered an upgrade to a Z31?

I didn't have time to poke around it much, i got to the yard about 20min before closing.

Thanks.
    I'm curious as to how the hell you didnt have time to pull the one 10mm bolt that holds the distributor in and disconect a couple wires LOL.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote:
      I'm curious as to how the hell you didnt have time to pull the one 10mm bolt that holds the distributor in and disconect a couple wires LOL.
      :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
      1987 300zx, VG33, Manual, Megasquirt, 450cc, T04,Tial 44mm External WG, ebay IC, crushed dsm blowoff, Apexi AVC-R at 15psi, efan, 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler, LSD.

Comment

i only had a 1/4in drive 10mm socket and there are some coolant lines
        that are in the way that kept me from coming at it from the side with a boxend wrench.
        If i only had my 10mm open end wrench, i wouldn't have had a problem.
        I only had a small toolkit with me. Next time i'll be "loaded for bear" lol.

Comment

what you never learned how to yank ? seriously it sounds like you're a pussy puller, get in there and do some damage

Comment

No ECU? that sucks. The only thing left would be the W-series engine. Oh, it "might" have a VLSD in the rear, though all the M30's I have looked at didn't.
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

G-E wrote: what you never learned how to yank ? seriously it sounds like you're a pussy puller, get in there and do some damage
              actually i prefer the poking method.

I pack light these days. There was a time when i'd haul both toolboxes and a full socket set with me.
              I packed my kit with the tools i'd need for pulling the AAC, didn't go in looking for anything else.
              I went back with the proper tool (10mm open end wrench) and yanked the distributor.

I also pulled a 240SX side mirror and test fit it on a 88NA (no ecu) since i had more time this time.

It is not a direct bolt on replacement, but might work with some help from a dremel.

I'm going to pick it and and the AFM from the M30 on payday.

The AFM is the same as the Z31 but has a airbox horn on the intake side. I think a cone filter would still fit it.
              I figure a AFM from 1991 might be a bit better than the one from my 84. If not...EBAY

Comment

M30 AFM's are not the same as those of the Z31 AFM.
                [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                2000 Porsche Boxster
                2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

bemis wrote: M30 AFM's are not the same as those of the Z31 AFM.
                  oops. Thanks

I was basing them being the same from a visual perspective. Same plug
                  and same housing diameter (but it looks the same !). I hadn't pulled it yet anyway.

I forgot about the electrical characteristics.

Thats OK. I still got the 240SX mirror and the 88na AFM stashed under the passenger seat in a
                  Cadilac Seville next to the 88NA.

Comment

Working...
                  X