Finally getting started on the head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting started on the head gaskets

Removed the plenum, lower manifold, rocker covers, and rocker arms. Broke the crank bolt loose. Maybe I'll have time to remove the t-belt stuff and the exhaust manifolds tomorrow. Just got some added responsibilities at work though so maybe not. Nasty greyish sludge was the reason for removing the rocker arms. I'm wondering how far I should go cleaning up. Lifters...cams...turbo... clean the oil pan...flush the radiator?
    This is my biggest project to date. Prolly have a few questions before it's all done. BTW Satan if you read this I put the 60-2 wheel at the 11th tooth and the cam gear dots did line up so as far as I know I'm at TDC...

Oh i'm sure it was at TDC if the car could run before.

I would take the time and clean everything good. If you allready have it apart then just do it good. If nothing else it will give you piece of mind that it is clean inside and you did a good job.

I dont know if I would clean the oil pan though. You didnt pull the engine out of the car did you? Nah. Unless you do that or pull the crossmember then you are gonna have one hell of a time getting that oil pan off of there. LOL :lol:
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

besides the dealer do you guys know of any shops that can do a head gasket job and have a z31 running right again?ive only done it once on my old na and i really dont have the workspace,time and money to do it myself and i hate takin everything apart just to fix something,the only time i actually like takin my engine apart is to mod it hahaha thanks guys
      87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

It seems like a pretty simple job to me.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: besides the dealer do you guys know of any shops that can do a head gasket job and have a z31 running right again?ive only done it once on my old na and i really dont have the workspace,time and money to do it myself and i hate takin everything apart just to fix something,the only time i actually like takin my engine apart is to mod it hahaha thanks guys
          do you actually think you are going to save money by paying someone to change a $30 gasket? if you dont have the time and space i can understand that, but a head gasket job on an overhead cam motor is labor intensive and it will not be cheap. on another note, it is not a specialty job at all.. these are not exotic cars and they dont require a special mechanic.. any shop can change a head gasket for you. be prepared to dish out 1000 bucks

Comment

oh ya i know its not hard at all,im just to lazy to do it and its to much work, anyone can do it but i just don't want to ya feel me

Comment

Your Z is a level up ontop of mine. I figure you could change a gasket in a day as long as there is no real big machining needed.

Comment

okay this might be a problem...

There are no holes in my crankshaft pulley to use with my puller. Aren't there supposed to be two 6mm threaded holes in 87-89 models to use a puller? I remember there were several in my 85t. Suppose I can drill and tap some holes but wtf is going with this car. Just thought I'd share...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Your Z is a level up ontop of mine. I figure you could change a gasket in a day as long as there is no real big machining needed.

Comment

[quote]87-85turbo wrote:
                    Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                    Your Z is a level up ontop of mine. I figure you could change a gasket in a day as long as there is no real big machining needed.
                    what do you means its a level on top of yours?

Comment

Huge front mount, actually clean body. You know, looks like there is more work done.

There isn't holes for a puller?

Comment

Nope, no holes. Maybe the result of one of the PO's "mods". Might have something to do with the way the 60-2 wheel was mounted. Satan was thinking the wheel was only attached to rubber but I took out the socket head screws I thought were holding the wheel on and they're definitely not screwed in to rubber. They weren't even holding the wheel on. It seems to be permanently attached to the pulleys some way.

Comment

jn1cz wrote: Nope, no holes. Maybe the result of one of the PO's "mods". Might have something to do with the way the 60-2 wheel was mounted. Satan was thinking the wheel was only attached to rubber but I took out the socket head screws I thought were holding the wheel on and they're definitely not screwed in to rubber. They weren't even holding the wheel on. It seems to be permanently attached to the pulleys some way.
                          :shock:

Comment

Yeah baby thats a :shock: er! Anyway I still love the car and I'm having fun in a way. Definitely keeps me interested discovering new strange shit everytime I look. The other day I found miles of nice new supple wiring coiled up by the tec3. Then I looked at all the crapped out old wire under the hood and had to laugh.Still wonder why there's so many wires routed around the front of the engine when it would have been so much neater and easier to go aaround the back. Yep I'm having fun. Hell I still look at the car and giggle sometimes just because I'll have to get some pics of some of the odd things I've found that I don't believe are stock and that def weren't on my 85.

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: It seems like a pretty simple job to me.
                              unless you've never done it before, then it can be daunting.

I actually need to do this very thing. I'm afraid I either have a head gasket torn or a cracked head. either way this would be the biggest project for me as well.

John
                              Its all fun till you hit the doggie and do an endo into the wall.

One willing to take his own life into his hands,
                              Will not hesitate to take the lives of others.

Comment

Working...
                              X