A BAD STEERING RACK.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A BAD STEERING RACK.........

Has fluid in the boots ??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thats what I was told...I am no steering rack expert but it makes sense that my seals are blow.

I wish there was some way to fix it other then buy a new one.......any ideas? Or do I just go buy a new one.....
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

TODD03412 wrote: Has fluid in the boots ??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thats what I was told...I am no steering rack expert but it makes sense that my seals are blow.

I wish there was some way to fix it other then buy a new one.......any ideas? Or do I just go buy a new one.....
    i remember someone rebuilt one themselves a while back.. i dont know how much the rebuild kit cost, and i dont know how long it took.. if i were you i would just get a rebuilt rack.. you can find them for around 100 bucks.. and yes, if youhave fluid in the boots you rack is trash

Comment

fsm has a rebuild procedure detailed for the mechanics that never will... take a peek it's not that bad

Comment

G-E wrote: fsm has a rebuild procedure detailed for the mechanics that never will... take a peek it's not that bad
        that "never will" ?????......cost a hundred bucks ?!?!?!? I cant believe if I have rebuilt a motor and I have a fsm that this would be terribly hard to do...now I need to find my fsm...I left it in the garage and then cleaned in there WITH MY WIFE !!!!!!! $hit...it may be gone...I was trying to find it earlier anyways so i can figure out what the thread and pitch is of the banjo bolts for the automatic oil cooler..........fun stuff.......

I think I will give it a shot,G-E....atleast I will know it is done right, and if I screw it up then there is just one person to blame.....and that is..uhhh satan. j/k

I will check it out tomorrow. what a p.i.t.a.

Comment

If you get lazy, you can get remanufactured racks for really cheap. I got one for 250 last year. I was happy.

Comment

chronic wrote: If you get lazy, you can get remanufactured racks for really cheap. I got one for 250 last year. I was happy.
            damn man.. thats not cheap.. i paid 120 and have seen them as low as 100

Comment

If I can find one for 100 bucks then I will just buy it....the one at advance auto parts is like 194 plus the core return yadda yadda......I just put my power steering back together and was so enjoying it after not having any for a couple of years.....

Comment

I had bought a reman. from napa about 5-6 years ago. I think it was around $180. I haven't have any issues with is since, but now my damn power steering pump is leaking :x Have to get working on it soon.
                89 Black Z 5spd, tokico hp, msa springs, k&n cone, dynomax racemagnum muffler, stanza tb.

Comment

Anything under $200 is a good price for a rack, which is what I sell mine for. The thing is to use one that was rebuilt correctly and will not fail prematurely. The ones I use hold up fine, never had one come back. It takes trial and error until you find a reputable supplier. I had to go through several suppliers (on my own cars at least) until I found a reliable one.
                  Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

JimmyZ89 wrote: I had bought a reman. from napa about 5-6 years ago. I think it was around $180. I haven't have any issues with is since, but now my damn power steering pump is leaking :x Have to get working on it soon.
                    SHEEZE BRO, and I had an old one I threw out !

It was a v-belt though 84-86....

If your pump is leaking then if it possible to rebuild it. I just didnt even have the proper on.

Firehawk, what brand do you get from your distributor?
                    Im debating just doing it myself, atleast I know it'll be done without a rush......

Comment

Just get a remaned, you can find them for 100-110 shipped if you look hard enough. Takes 1.5 hours to install with good tools.

Comment

TODD03412 wrote: If I can find one for 100 bucks then I will just buy it....the one at advance auto parts is like 194 plus the core return yadda yadda......I just put my power steering back together and was so enjoying it after not having any for a couple of years.....
                        autopartswarehouse.com has them for 117 plus shipping.. you can find them for a few bucks less if you are motivated

Comment

I already started looking, Im sure it would be interesting to rebuild....Id rather not deal with the downtime the more I think about it.

I found one at discount nissans for 95 + shipping. I may just sport for the one at my local auto parts store...if there is a problem i can take it back....

OH...what fun I will have next weekend :roll: HAHAHA

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                            Originally posted by chronic
                            If you get lazy, you can get remanufactured racks for really cheap. I got one for 250 last year. I was happy.
                            damn man.. thats not cheap.. i paid 120 and have seen them as low as 100
                            Mind you, that was cdn. It was still cheaper than places like napa and part source. Couldn't wait for something off the net at the time

Comment

Working...
                            X