Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Stuck.. Help?

Hey Guys!

So I went to change my oil to 20w50 because with the summer coming on, i'm starting to get lifter tick after driving for an hour or so..

No big deal.. jack the car up.. drain the oil.... go to change the filter.. (which I have done probably 6 or 7 times on my Z) and Hmmm its a little tight.... After another 4 hard attempts giving it my all .. I cant budge it loose!

Being as I have always done my filter loosening / tightening by hand I am not sure which type of "oil wrench" will work well with the car. The filter is not exactly easy to get to.. FSM states a special tool for this.. I would rather spend very little to get this bugger looose?

Any help with the type of tool I should get etc. would help save me $$$ and frustration.

Cheers!
    84' 300ZX Turbo / '86 300ZX NA to Turbo (Retired)

get a long screw driver and run it through the filter with a hammer and it should come of by using the leverage from the screwdriver.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

(screwdriver technique) Yes I was reading this.... However, I would prefer to not have a giant oil mess from the filter all over.. Also if this fails, it will deystroy the filter and any hope of using a conventional type "helper tool".

Looking for the type of tool other's may have used and or techniques with their own Z's. Knowledge comes from experience... I wouldnt care so much, however our filters do not allow easy access for tools. I don't want to waste the money buying somthing that wont fit. I'm not sure even how great the screwdriver would work for our cars specifically, unless someone has done this...

Comment

I used one like this:

worked fine.
        It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

BAH you beat me to it!
          Any of the strap wrenches will work fine.

Comment

Great!..

That's all I wanted to know! That they would fit and be able to "work" with the engine / space. Thanks guys for help with a weird question.

Dylan.

Comment

Me & a mate of mine just found a steel pole that was about a metre & a half long & punctured a hole in the side of it, then twisted it off that way.

Obviously we tried with a tool & by hand first, this was a last resort. :P

1985' 2+2 Z31 Non Turbo...
              1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Screw driver method does work good, I've used it myself a couple of times with minimal oil spilt... If you pierce it right, then almost no oil will come out of the hole.
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: Screw driver method does work good, I've used it myself a couple of times with minimal oil spilt... If you pierce it right, then almost no oil will come out of the hole.
                  I dont recall losing any oil when we did it our way. :shock:

Probably because there was no oil in it! haha! ops:

1985' 2+2 Z31 Non Turbo...
                  1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Long screw driver and a hammer. Put on left side of filter (looking from top) and tap with hammer.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I've got $10 that says when he removes the starter to get room to use a tool, he can just turn it off by hand.

Am I the only one who bothers to spend the 2 minutes required to just pull the starter off rather than fighting it?

Comment

I've never had to fight the oil filter. I just use one of those metal strap wrenches and get at the filter from above.

Comment

Just don't torque hell out of them. When you pull the old one off, kiss the two seals together. This does:

A: Lets you know your old seal isn't stuck to the block
                          B: Lubes up the new seal
                          C: confirms oil filters match (for the most part)

Comment

What ever works for you

Comment

Okay well I got it removed today. I went to the local auto parts and got a FRAM plastic cap grip tool. You just put it over the filter and use a socket wrench. Cheap only $6.00. This did not work from the top for me.. still kept slipping. So I finally got under the car... removed the starter and got a better grip on it. Voilla. Jeeez I never thought It would have to be such a trial to remove it. I always tighten by hand. Oh well. And to top it off the 20w50 did not do much for the lifter tick. Looks like I am in for some new ones / rebuilding. Yay...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X