Slow Start Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Start Help!!

The Exhaust from my car smells a bit funny. I know it's not supposed to smell like roses, but it reeks compared to my other 2 Z's. However, there are a few things different. This one is a turbo (which i really don't see how it would effect exhaust smell), and here's the biggy, no Cat Converter. Would that cause my car to smell funny? A few mods have been done to it also: Engloid Plenum, K&N, and raised boost to 11.5 psi, which I've been meaning to lower. Honestly, it smells like unburnt gas, or maybe its oil (no smoke), because for a while it seemed like oil was dissipearing somehow.

Assuming it is unburnt gas, where would I start? Plugs? Distributor? Is there a way to check before I actually start wasting money? There is no emissions testing in my area.

Also, the car does not start immediatly. It has to crank a few times, which makes me think it might be the plugs. Most likely a related issue? Any ideas are appreciated!

~es3
    ~es3

umm, no cat = bad smell

That is your smelly issue.

The bad smells are what would usually be burned up in the cat.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

my cat makes bad smells all the time....

I gotta get him some better food :shock:
      88ss, MegaSquirted.
      t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
      450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
      http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

Comment

hahahahaha, must be a high flow kitty there.

Comment

well... What about the slow start? My other 2 300ZX's (n/a's) started after like 1 or 2 cranks. This other one starts after 4-5 cranks. What would cause that?
          ~es3

Comment

I would guess the slow start and rich running is either a dirty AFM or a CHTS on its way out. Those two tend to cause those issues.

If a car is running rich with no cat, the exhaust will tend to smell a little.

CRC now makes an AFM "cleaner" spray, I've never tried it myself but I hear it works.

Comment

5-8hp gains i hear :shock:

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I would guess the slow start and rich running is either a dirty AFM or a CHTS on its way out. Those two tend to cause those issues.

If a car is running rich with no cat, the exhaust will tend to smell a little.

CRC now makes an AFM "cleaner" spray, I've never tried it myself but I hear it works.
                Haha, I apologize, but I'm not entirely sure what the AFM is or where it is located. The CHTS... Center Head Temperature Sensor or something like that? I almost replaced that on my other Z. Isn't it only like 15 bucks from the dealer? And where could I get this AFM "cleaner" spray? I'd like to give it a shot.
                ~es3

Comment

Working...
                X