Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crap! No Oil Pressure! Engine Rubbing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap! No Oil Pressure! Engine Rubbing!

OK, it's 1:48 AM. Just got home from having my friend tow me with his wrangler. Basically, in short what happened is I was being a dumbass and let my friends talk me into seeing how fast my car can actually go. I did a few runs with it on an abandoned road for fun in the middle of the night, and I then went to a parking lot, talked to my friend, and went home.

On the way home, about 2 min away from my house, I pulled up to the stop sign and I fully stopped. Not listening to any music, and with my window rolled down, I heard a strange sound coming from my engine. I imediatly kinda got this visual image of the piston going up and down and making that exact sound in the cylinder, so I glanced at my oil pressure gauge, and it was at what I remember estimating to be 14 psi. Panicking, I immediatly turned off my car and called a friend to be towed. Checked my oil level, and it looked to be fine.

I'm running 10W-30 Fully Synthetic Super-Tech (Wal-Mart) oil. Now I just talked to my father, and he made a very valid point. When there is no oil in the car, the first thing you hear is the ticking of the lifters right? I am VERY familiar with the ticking. I had an oil leak in my first Z and I got to listen to the ticking quite often, and the engine was not ticking, or at least if it was, I didn't hear it. Could I have just imagined the engine sound, looked at my oil pressure gauge and saw a reading that was incorrect because my oil pressure sending unit needs to be replaced (my car normally idles around 20 psi), or have I been wrong all along, the oil pressure sending unit is just fine, and The oil pressure has slowly been deteriorating and now it finally hit me.

Also, While parked in the parking lot, I popped my hood to smell for any funny smells and get some air in there, and I heard a funny sound near the top right of the engine over the turbo around the plenum. It sounded like some sort of liquid moving or something. Didn't pay too much attention to it.

So basically, could what I think happened, possibly have happened? If so, what went wrong, and can I fix it (I wasn't playing any music or anything so I think I got to the problem as soon as the sound became audible)? Would the lifters have started to tick first? Or did I jump the gun a little fast, assume to much, and just need to replace my oil pressure sending unit. Because honestly, while I thought that was metal on metal, thinking back it could have been some sort of coolant flowing or something. I don't know. I'm looking for ANY input, and ANY help. Thanks!
    ~es3

Generally speaking the pump won't make NO pressure unless it simply can't get (enough) oil.

Your oil level is fine so the first thing I would do is replace the sending unit to verify the pressure readings.

The second would be to pull the pan and check the oil pickup tube. I read a TSB a while ago about the oil pickup tube o-ring cracking and the pump starving on some VG's.

Comment

so do you think what I think happened is feasible? Also, I hear a lot of stuff about the dip stick not sealing and causing a low oil pressure. Is this feasible, and something that I should look at also?
      ~es3

Comment

actually lifters can maintain "pressure" quite a while without oil pumping, theres also a good chance the camshaft valley has some oil so the camshaft itself should be fine for a bit too

most likely the first thing you'd hear is the rockers scraping or slapping on their shafts

Comment

ok, well I just went outside and tried to start the car. Opened up the hood and had my dad listen for scraping and what not. The engine cranked, but did not start; However, while it was cranking, no scraping or anything of that sort was heard, so I may have imagined it. As for the issue with the car not actually starting, it did this to me yesterday while trying to start it after replacing a stripped wheel stud. I waited for about 5 minutes, and tried it again and it started up, so I'll go and try it again in a little bit. After cranking it, a strong smell of gas can be smelled. Perhaps I flooded the engine? Either way, I'd like to know why it didn't start in the first place. I've always kinda thought my car was running a little rich, but was never 100% sure, as I've never dealt with a car that runs rich. Jason mentioned the other day that to fix running rich I should clean out the AFM (with some spray), and/or replace my CHTS. Does replacing those sound like a logical thought to get my car starting again? If not, what would you suggest?

~es3
          ~es3

Comment

Run the codes on the ecu and take it from there.Good luck
            Shiro #443

Comment

OK. My dad and I tried to start it this morning, and it wouldnt start. After a while we came back and tried, and it started right up. I heard the same sound I heard last night, but its not what I thought it was. So I took Rick88ss's advice and ran the codes from there.

Well, I sort of ran the codes. Basically, I had never run the codes before, and wasn't really seeing how to get the ECU out of its harness so I could mess with it. There was a plug in the way, and couldn't find any way around it, so I had to unplug it. This plug unluckily turned out to be the power supply to the ECU and erased all the ECU's stored contents from the memory. However, luckily (or unluckily), the car wouldn't start after that happened, and I got to see a code while in mode III. The code 41 came up, which is the "Fuel Temperature sensor or circuit" for 1985 and later, and I have a 1987 T so obviously that qualifies.

So could the Fuel Temperature Sensor be the reason that my car is not starting? Could it also be the reason my car is running rich?
              ~es3

Comment

no

Comment

Working...
                X