Doing some major A/C restoration on the Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some major A/C restoration on the Z

Yeah, so after I go out of my way to make sure the turbo Z has A/C with the pathfinder intake modification, the compressor blows a seal in the back. fan-freaking-tastic. So, now that I know $40 worth of freon has vented itself to the atmosphere, I have decided to fix it up right. I pulled the evaporator out from under the dash (which was really easy) and its gonna get a good cleaning. Then replace the compressor, o-rings, dryer, expansion valve, foam seals, blah, blah, blah. After I'm done, this system will work like it should have.

Note: this core should be silver in color, not black and clogged with leaves, bugs, and other sh*t.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

What are you planning to recharge the system with?
    R-134?

How long did it take you to extract that core?
    and you left the dash in the car :shock:
    I always thought you had to pull the dash to get it out.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

nope, a/c evaps come out with taking the glove box out. very easy. brian, get with me on the orings for that shit on the evap, i found a sourse for them, i think i still have a couple at the shop from rob`s car.

unless your evap has been changed in the last 5-6 years, it probably looks just like brian`s. leaves, dust, hair, all get down in there and clog that fucker up, reducing air flow and a/c performance. plus all that shit holds moisture and will eat a hole in your evap, which are NLA and over $400 for a new one if you can find it. before "fixing" your a/c system, I recommend you pull the evap and clean it, replace all your orings, and replace the dryer and expansion valve. the dryer is available through napa and the exp valve from nissan (~$100?). I tried to charge a system on a customer`s car and it took the charge but wouldn`t cool. turned out the desicant bag in the dryer had broken open and completly clogged the exp valve, preventing the freon from circulating. A properly serviced a/c system will blow cold as fuck with 134, but you have to make sure all is jake before you go at it.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
      good thing....

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: What are you planning to recharge the system with?
        R-134?

How long did it take you to extract that core?
        and you left the dash in the car :shock:
        I always thought you had to pull the dash to get it out.
        R134

It took a couple minutes to remove the core. First you pull the glove box, drop the blower and then the evaporator. It's real easy. You certainly don't need to remove the dash.
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

i'll pull my evap if anyone needs it, it is just sitting in my dash, unused.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I have a brand new drier and expansion valve, oem. Paid like 250 new for the set. I'd be up for selling it to you for 175$ + shipping if you're interested. Still have the recipt and in the original packaging too.
            Daily:
            09 2.5SL Altima Grey
            08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
            11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
            Z31s:
            88t Grey
            86t Pewter

Comment

Working...
            X