Exhaust studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust studs

Broken exhaust studs, how would you reccomend getting these buggers out?
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

I called out a guy that does broken bolts for a living, the basic visit costs the most, once he's there he's cheap

actually I had him do two bolts in the audi and 1 stud in the vg (upper front driver's side), and he gave me 6 new studs

check your yellow pages

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: Broken exhaust studs, how would you reccomend getting these buggers out?
      Is the head attached to the engine? If not, just bring them to any machine shop and they will extract them for ~$5-10

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: Broken exhaust studs, how would you reccomend getting these buggers out?
        Do you have a mig welder? IF so, hold a junk nut in vise grips over the broken stud and weld through the center to the broken stud stuck in the head. Your weld will not hurt the aluminium and only adhere to the broken stud. Takes a whole 1 minute to do this and the nut can now be used to very easily unscrew the broken stud.
        8)
        I am here to help...

Comment

Man that's smart! :lol:
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: Man that's smart! :lol:
            Thats why he is "Dan the man from TSS"

Great idea Dan. Ive done that on other items but have usually done the center drill and reverse drill bit or easy out method on engine bolts. Heck, I have one hanging from fishing line next to my computer monitor right now as a reminder. (busted t-belt tensioner bolt that was brand new :shock: ). Luckily that one didn't cause any valve issues. Long story but I got lucky as I could get on that one. 8)

The welded nut thing is a great idea as long as the stud isn't recessed into the head. If its flush or better you should be golden.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

And if you don't have a welder, go to lowes and get a left handed drill bit and an easy out set.
              KILL HADJI

Comment

my motor said lets wind up James , 4 studs are broken 3 on one head and they are recessed in there well and good, they were broken before i owned the car though,the week before i pulled the motor out i CRC'd every bolt i could get to every night of the week ( anything exhaust related )

has anybody ever had their heads drilled and tapped out to fit a larger diameter stud for the exhause manifolds ?
                85 Turbo Slick Top
                __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

we use m8, the pathfinders use m10 .... you need a boring tap and then an end tap to get all the way in... some of the holes are slightly deeper than others and have more thread

this is not something you could reasonably do inside the car

Comment

although mine were broken way off in there, they sure did come out easy with a hammer in remover thing.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Call me stupid or crazy...but with a steady hand, I can manage to get to the the ones that are broken off around 1/4" into the head with the weld/nut method.
                      Just need to be extra cautious the first couple turns of the nut. Being recessed and not wanting to make a mess...the weld isn't grabbing as much of the stud as it would if it were broke off flush with the head and then welded.
                      The heat alone from this method makes removal a cinch. 99% of the time, I can remove them by hand after one full turn on a wrench.
                      I am here to help...

Comment

Wish I had a welder.
                        My good running NA engine had about 5 break off.
                        The junk engine I'm pulling apart, not a single one. WTF?
                        Oh well.
                        Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                        1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                        2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Working...
                        X