No announcement yet.

Running wierd for no obvious reason...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running wierd for no obvious reason...

Saturday night the car was boosting 11psi with no problems.
    Sunday It drove to and from work just fine. Boosted like normal, cruised like normal and idled like normal.
    Monday I didn't drive the car at all.
    Tuesday I'm on my way to work and dip into boost a bit. car hits about 10psi and starts to shudder like it's out of gas. I let off the gas and turn down my boost to about 8psi then hit it again. No shudder. It drives and runs fine the rest of the day. On my way home it started to shudder under boost again but now at 8psi... WTF?

First thing I thought was my gas gauge was wrong so I fill it up. Nope..
    Check the FPR and it's not leaking or anything. Pump is heard running like it always has.
    So I think maybe my MAF is going dead. So I change it out with my spare and no difference. Check the coolant, oil, and vac lines. Nothing seems to be dissapearing or mixing from a blown gasket. Check the ECU and nothing unusual is coming up.

Only thing I haven't done is change the fuel filter which is at this point the only thing left. But I've never heard of a filter just up and clogging when the car is not running.

Anyone else think of something else it could be?

On a side note my Slave cyl just crapped out on my way home tonight. That was fun cuz it happened in the Mc D's drivethrough. Basicly had to launch the car out of the drive through to get it to move without stalling which scared the crap outta the poor window worker. ops:

So after I have dinner I grab my motorcycle and swing by Checker auto on my way back to work. Luckly they had a Slave Cyl. in stock!!

Get home tonight and install the new Slave Cyl. no problem. Go to Bleed the clutch damper and the bleeder valve is siezed in there pretty good. So I hit it with some PB Blaster and try again... Nothing.
    So I grab another wrench and link them for more leverage. Damn bleeder valve just snaps off with hardly any effort.
    :evil:

Comment

Great to hear you got her running good again!

cheezmonta wrote: I quick run to my trash parts box and dig up my old stock Brake lines and start comparing. Fronts won't work rear outers won't work. HOWEVER the stock Z31 rear inner brake lines WILL!!! YAY me being cheap
      :wink:
      Slap that thing in and bleed her out! Clutch feels pretty good again!
      I cannot tell you haw many times I posted that exact information on z31.com and nobody took note. I think you have it backwards though, you can use a Z31 rear outer hose just fine. The inner hoses have two female ends while the outers have a male (for threading into the caliper/slave cyl) and female. I've been using one for probably close to two years now.

Comment

Ah yes you're right on. I didn't remember exactly which was which but they were shorter so I assumed they were the inners.

Unfortunatly the fuel filter didn't solve my problem... :x
        However NOW whenever I dip into boost or put the car under a decent load it starts to shudder!!?

So for some reason the problem is just getting alittle worse everyday!...

I swung by Checker again this time for a new Plugs, Cap and Rotor since I hadn't replaced them since I bought the car just over a year ago. Figure I'll justify it as preventative maintnence if thats not the cause.

Cap and rotor are on and it starts, idles and drives smooth but the shudder is sill there when I get on the gas.

So at this point I'm thinking I might have burned up a plug or something since they're the only thing left I haven't checked or replaced...
        While I'm in there I'll do a compression test. Fingers crossed all is well! :cry:

Comment

For testing purposes I bypassed my AVC-R and guess what!!
          The car feels slow as hell BUT the shudder is gone!?!? GRRR

So now I have to figure out whats wrong with my damn AVC-R. Is it the contorl unit, a connection, the boost solenoid. If anyone has had problems similar to mine or knows someone who has please let me know what they did.

Comment

cheezmonta wrote: For testing purposes I bypassed my AVC-R and guess what!!

So now I have to figure out whats wrong with my damn AVC-R. Is it the contorl unit, a connection, the boost solenoid. If anyone has had problems similar to mine or knows someone who has please let me know what they did.
            Um, so did boost fluctuate rapidly or something?

Comment

Boost is holding steady when the car shudders.

It acts like it's not getting enough fuel but it clearly is. I set the boost control to around 8psi and it would shudder. I put my old manual boost controller on at 8psi and no shudder. So it's something to do with the AVC-R.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                Originally posted by cheezmonta
                For testing purposes I bypassed my AVC-R and guess what!!

Um, so did boost fluctuate rapidly or something?
                wouldn't necessarily affect boost if the wastegate flutters, but it would affect backpressure and hence VE....

Comment

Welp I reset my AVC-R and the problem dissapeared. My guess is that I did something wrong or a setting got changed while bumping around in my glovebox.

Now I have to start from scratch with this thing...

At least it wasn't something worse and I caught up on alot of maintnance work I've been neglecting.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X