A/C removal precautions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C removal precautions

I am finally going to remove the AC but want to check for any suggestions about precautions or lessons learned in the process.

My main concern is toxic exposure and venting off the system initially. When I was in the Navy one of the nastiest things we had to deal with were R-12 and R-114 spills and leaks when reloading the systems. That stuff can be nasty.

This is in preparation for several upcoming mods and the fact that I never use the AC because it barely cools and I like the windows down idea. :wink: I like the sound of the wind and engine/exhaust. 8) Also the feel of the wind on my shaved head feels damn nice.

Any helpful info is much appreciated but I really dont need help on what to remove, I pretty much have that under control. :wink:
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

You're 'supposed' to have the system evacuated at a shop, but "some" people just take the bolts free on one of the fittings to the compressor and walk away for a little while. You might want to wrap it with a rag or something so the lubricant/sealant stuff does not get all over.

I wish there were an easy way to "harvest" R12 from auto systems for re-use; that stuff has become even more damn expensive lately. I have a couple cans from back in the day purchased at Meijer with the $3.99 price tags still on them. 14oz of R12 is now worth about 15 times that amount.

Comment

Block your vents up! The AC was removed in my 86 when I got it, and hot air comes out the feet vents. I've yet to get around to taking a good look at it yet, but just something to think of.
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: Block your vents up! The AC was removed in my 86 when I got it, and hot air comes out the feet vents. I've yet to get around to taking a good look at it yet, but just something to think of.
        You have a leak in one or more of the vac hoses in your climate control system.

Comment

yeah...def have some rags sitting around

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Thanks guys. I will check into how much a shop will extort from me to have the system drained.

I have lots of rags and was thinking that also but figured I should ask just in case I wasn't thinking of something.
            Performance costs money.

Comment

So, in my infinite wisdom I decide a couple days ago that the "smart thing for me to do" is remove the AC. Well, job done... The only issue is that we have been over 100 here the last 2 days and it is forecasted that we will stay there for at least 2 more and then drop in to a comforting high 90s scenario for several more days. :shock:

Realistically I seldom ever used the AC because it was near worthless and the idea of spending $$ on getting it converted just wasn't that appealing but temps of 115+ in the garage the last 2 evenings has me reconsidering my logic. :?

One observation in the process:

I was surprised at how much fibrous material was clinging to the front surface of the radiator when I removed the AC condenser. I am fairly diligent about spraying out my radiators especially during the warmer months. Heck its only been 3-4 weeks since I had done it on the Z.

The best way I can describe the "material" clinging to front of the radiator is not unlike what you would find in the lint screen of you clothes dryer with some of the fibers being slightly larger than common lint. They were more like short hairs but I am not sure it that is actually what the were.

Anyhow...reverse wash your radiator a couple times a year with a garden hose and a spray nozzle. The amount of crap than ends up in there may surprise you.
              Performance costs money.

Comment

yeah, it is amazing

Comment

when i did mine all i did was got some good safety glasses and a face mask, undid the bolts on a windy day and ran away real fast and came back an hour later and it didn't even smell of anything gas at all.
                  85 Turbo Slick Top
                  __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

a shop will evacuate the system for free and then you don't have to worry about being a shithead and venting the stuff. Virgin R-12 goes for $20-30 a pound now on Ebay btw.

Comment

haha, an hour later?

I did it behind my coffee shop job, I only waited 15 min. 8)

jk

Comment

Working...
                      X