Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank Shaft Timing Gear: How do I get it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Shaft Timing Gear: How do I get it off?

Hey, I'm doing a timing belt change currently and I can't seem to get my Crank Shaft Timing Gear (the gear at the very bottom of the timing belt, right next to the tensioner) off so that I can replace the crank seals and plate and what not. Haynes says to use 2 screw drivers to pry it off, but thats not really working. Any tips/suggestions would be great as I am in dire need to get this thing back together. Thanks!

~es3
    ~es3

a gear puller maybe?

Comment

I can't even get it off far enough to put a gear puller on it. Perhaps I'm not thinking of the same piece of equipment? I have a puller, but I have to get it off about 1/4" to 1/2" before I could actually get it on. is there a special type of puller to do this?
      ~es3

Comment

There are a few methods I know of:

1. Remove the woodruff key (non-w motors only) and attempt to hammer on the gear with an extension until it turns.

2. Use a medium sized pickle fork, wedge it in front of the small guard plate and be prepared to replace it and the gear.

3. Drill and tap holes to use a standard steering wheel or gear puller on it

4. Drill a hole in the gear right outside the keyway, then hit it with a chisel to break it into two pieces.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: There are a few methods I know of:

1. Remove the woodruff key (non-w motors only) and attempt to hammer on the gear with an extension until it turns.

2. Use a medium sized pickle fork, wedge it in front of the small guard plate and be prepared to replace it and the gear.

3. Drill and tap holes to use a standard steering wheel or gear puller on it

4. Drill a hole in the gear right outside the keyway, then hit it with a chisel to break it into two pieces.
          wow...so use a new one

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I've only ever had to remove two factory-installed ones, and both times I messed up the gear in the process anyway. It's a $26 part lots of dealers have in stock for just that reason, not a big deal.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: It's a $26 part lots of dealers have in stock for just that reason, not a big deal.
              Oh good grief...I wish I would have realized that 2 years ago. :evil: I cant even begin to describe the #$*^$%@@%& I went through getting that @#!@#$% thing off because I was sure it would cost me my first born child. I got it off in reusable condition and its in use today, but....

Hmm...I feel suddenly stupid. :?

Live and learn I suppose.
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

just because it's cheap isn't reason to go caveman on the car

well unless the part is rusted solid and a complete waste in the first place, then cut/torch/beat/blast whatever it takes

Comment

ok, so I finally got it off. I got a right angle extention for my drill (craftsman) for about 20 bucks at sears. Kinda wobbled, and the hole that I made was not directly over the key thing. It was taking forever, so my dad and I took out a grinder and ground off the entire top half. I replaced the seal, and it was just fine. I woke up at 10 AM today and its 4:30PM now. I feel like my time and money has been wasted, haha. Not really. At least I know that it is fine now. By the way, just to make sure I did this right. I took the crank seal, and nissan already had lube in the middle, so I left that alone, and I put some red high temperature silicone sealant on the outside, rubbed it around, and worked it in place with my fingers. I pushed it in as hard as I could. Should be fine, right?
                  ~es3

Comment

Glad you got it figured out.

The seal should be fine if it's pretty much flush with the outside lip of the housing.

Comment

i wondered about this myslef and figured i could not pull it off so i would let the engine shop do it as to not naff up the gear, i already broke my harmonic balancer from using the wrong tools to get it off , drilling 2 holes sounds like the way to go,
                      85 Turbo Slick Top
                      __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

If I drill the holes to get it out, I probably still need to replace it, huh?

Comment

old thread alert!! check the dates before posting!

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
                          1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

DeleriousZ wrote: old thread alert!! check the dates before posting!
                            Agreed, but seriously? The screwdriver idea Haynes says worked best for me...
                            - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

me too actually, i just stuck a screwdriver behind it and gave it a quick twist, and it popped right off for me.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
                              1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

Working...
                              X