Thumping and Bumping like you wouldn't believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumping and Bumping like you wouldn't believe

I am not totally sure where to post this, but it is an interior item and it does make sound....so I thought this would do.

The rear hatch on my 87 NA is banging every time I hit a decent sized pothole (we have quite a few here in michigan). I know for sure that it is the hatch, not the glass or the trim but the hatch frame itself. Is there a way to adjust the latch for a tighter fit, or get it to quiet down a bit? It is really becoming a loud and obnoxious problem. Please help!

Thanks
    -Mike
    "produce first.talk second."

how is your rubber around the hatch?

or you can take off the back interior trim panel and move your latch catch down a little to tighten it up. mine was doing the same thing. so i moved the latch down a little and it stopped the banging.

Comment

Are you positive it is the hatch?

I don't know quite what urs sounds like but i get bumping and screeching from my drivers shock hat.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I think there are some adjustable bumpers for the hatch as well, and adjusting the lkatch might also do the trick...you could bring it down to Firestone and I might be able to look at it in some spare time if I'm not busy.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
        1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
        1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
        2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
        2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

Thanks for the offer
          I am sure it is the hatch, so i will try adjusting the latching mechanism. If this doesnt solve it i will bring the car down to Firestone and let Taris take a look.

Comment

I adjusted the latch and the loud banging went away. Thanks for the idea!

This is such a great forum....
            -Mike

Comment

Working...
            X