Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO oil pressure!

Here is my newest agony..
    I changed the oil about 60 miles ago. The oil that I drained out was Mobil 1 20W50. The oil I put in was Mobil 1 10w30. The oil filter I took out was a Mobil 1 filter. The oil filter I put in was a Mobil 1 filter.
    Last night i drove the car approx. 20 miles. I drove to a friends house then I went to see Talledega Nights (which was a great movie IMO). The car was running fine and everything seemed normal. Oil pressure has been at a consistent 40-45 lbs on the guage since the oil change. Last night the car was left outside (usually its stored inside) and a heavy dew fell on it. Also the temp dropped to around 60 degrees (it had been about 90 for the last two weeks). I went out at 7:00 Am and started the car. The oil pressure gauge read zero. The light came on. I checked the oil.. it was full. I let the car warm up and the drove it about 1/2 a mile. Still zero. So I went back home (1/2 mile) and then parked the car. By then I could hear a loud lifter ticking noise. I removed the oil fill cap and saw no oil on in the valve cover. I dont understand how things like this happen overnight, when the car is just sitting in the driveway...
    Any suggestions?
    "produce first.talk second."

I find it hard to believe, but your oil pump cooooould have died.

Is this a stock oil pressure gauge? Because those sender units go out ALL the time.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Oil pump failures are very few and far between, usually they just fail to build the specified pressure when they're worn. I have also heard of issues with the o-ring on the oil pickup tube.

I would suspect the sender before anything else, but the ticking is what concerns me. Perhaps it's just because it's now thinner oil and the heavier stuff was preventing the ticking...

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. If he really drove with no oil pressure... um, he would have welded his rods to his crank, among other things.
        BLOZ UP.com
        It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

hmm off topic ,but talladega nights was great!!! , really funny , kinda long but worth it .. miami vice=CRAP!!!

Comment

Last night the car was left outside (usually its stored inside) and a heavy dew fell on it. Also the temp dropped to around 60 degrees
            oh noes, call the national guard, the weather changed!

Comment

I pulled off the passenger side valve cover just now. I started the car and ran just long enough for me to get out of the drivers seat, run to the exposed valve components, and see if oil was spurting out. I didnt see any oil spraying out. Where would the oil spurt out of exactly? Anyways, I shut the car off immediately after that. The lifters were ticking while the car was running. However I did notice that the valve components all had oil coating them, and there was some oil sitting underneath them, and it was pooled up under the lifters and the cam.
              Also, what are the chances of a clogged oil pickup tube or its screen?

And yes this is the stock oil pressure guage.

Comment

you could have a clogged passage anywhere really, and the pickup could be

have you ever dropped the oil pan? inspection helps eliminate things....

however as we've all noted the stock guages are prone to failure so stick a mechanical guage on there if only to test... you can use a 1/8 bspt to barb fitting and a hose going to any pressure guage even for an air compressor, run it far enough so you can see it from inside the cabin and start/run that way

Comment

I pulled out the Mobil 1 filter that I had installed 60 miles earlier to find some metal shavings inside of it. I installed a new oil filter and started the car. The car ran for maybe 10 seconds. The I took the new oil filter off. There was no oil in it at all. To me, this proves that the sending unit is not bad. There is no oil pressure what so ever. Whether the pump is bad, or the pickup tube o-ring is crushed, or some passageway is clogged, i will still have to remove the engine.
                  At the same time this was happening, a new deal came through for me. I purchased a '84 Turbo car. The car was in a very old woman's garage and was covered with dust and cobwebs. The old ladies husband passed away about 5 years ago from cancer and the car has been in the garage ever since. It has 123,00 miles on it. The interior is really bad. The seats are extremely ripped, the carpet is stained etc... The exterior is really bad also. The paint is oxidized and the back of the car is extremely rusted out.
                  This car will hopefully lend its turbo engine to my 87NA, and my dreams of turbo conversion will come true and the problem of no oil pressure will be solved!

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: I pulled out the Mobil 1 filter that I had installed 60 miles earlier to find some metal shavings inside of it. I installed a new oil filter and started the car. The car ran for maybe 10 seconds. The I took the new oil filter off. There was no oil in it at all. To me, this proves that the sending unit is not bad. There is no oil pressure what so ever.
                    you realize you're supposed to fill the filter with oil to accelerate priming the pump, but you should have had something after 10sec even a dribble so you're most likely correct, the engine is toasted

Comment

That is completely full of suck. I have to wonder if it was the pump itself or the pickup...

I guess you now have a reason to upgrade!

Comment

oil pumps CAN lose their prime, but that seems far fetched from what you described. ANY time you get an oil light (or low reading from the gauge) shut it down immediately! and check it with a mechanical gauge. ticking lifters are a clear sign of no oil pressure. it takes only a few seconds to damage an engine from lack of oil.

Also, the mobil 1 oil filters are crap, the center hole is the clean oil return to engine. if you pull any 10 mobil 1 (or purolator or some others for that matter) filters and look at the threads, you will see metal shavings in ~5. This is due to the thread cutting operation and is simply sloppy manufacturing practice. Always check out the filter before buying it, anything you see in the threads or inside the filter will end up in your bearings. I have never had this problem with WIX (aka NAPA GOLD), AC delco, or Fram filters fwiw.

Comment

Working...
                        X