Huge Ticking when Hot idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Ticking when Hot idle

Hi, I always had the normal lifter ticking at startup when cold for 2-3 seconds but now when I'm back from a ride I got a huge tick that really sound like crap at idle (like a diesel truck) (not the startup sound). The noise stops at 1000 RPM. It's not the injectors ! I hear them at 1000RPM... the rattle is 5 times louder. Oil Pressure at 2kg on highway (30lb on US gauge), 15lb minimum. Using 10w30 high mileage. I'm really not planning repair (job, kids..). What oil / additive could I use to help if possible. Engine is 291 000 KMs, did run on fresh oil for the last 22 years ! (87NA)

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak due to a busted manifold stud, or cracked manifold.? They can sometimes tick and mimic a lifter noise.

You could try and run some SeaFoam additive in the oil just before a oil change to help dissolve any gunk in the lifters.
    However the side effect of doing this means that you may be dissolving anything that is keeping a already weak seal from sealing anymore.
    Disclaimer, i've not done this myself, i get a startup tick that goes away pretty quickly.

If the solvent helps, you might consider switching to synthetic oil if you haven't already done so.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

id be willing to bet a lifter has collapsed
      Hmmm, Whats next?
      Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

Originally posted by shromy View Post
        id be willing to bet a lifter has collapsed
        The car would run bad right ? car seems fine.

Also I had a cracked manifold (driver) welded for a while and leaks but it was not making that sound.

Thanks.

Comment

Sounds like a weak and collapsed lifter. Only issue is determining exactly which one is making the noise.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
          1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
          2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

So that could possibly damage the engine right ? Is it something we see often on these engine (total fail/damage) ? (Because I can live with the noise).

By the way it is NOT that noise:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2T7yUPW2T0

It is more like if you throw some small bolts in valve cover and hear them rattling around..

Comment

Can you post a Video?

Comment

At 00:30
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOrpvcwJfSI

Pressure when cold at 30lb, 15 when hot.
                Noise only when hot and idle.

Comment

Working...
                X