No announcement yet.

85T Bad Hesitation/Hiccup/Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's only if you are going to go with a Nistune system. You can probably find an 84-5 turbo ECU on here. Tbh I have heard of enough bad ECUs lately that I would probably go with one of the reman ones from rockauto and get the 1-year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenZ View Post
      That's only if you are going to go with a Nistune system. You can probably find an 84-5 turbo ECU on here. Tbh I have heard of enough bad ECUs lately that I would probably go with one of the reman ones from rockauto and get the 1-year warranty.
      I'll try to look and see if there are any on here, thank you. My brother had found an 86 turbo that he's going to take the ecu out of and send to me. I know I may need to change the O2 sensor to be compatible with it but with it being side feed would it affect anything that I'd need to make changes off or best stick with the 85T ecu?

Comment

86T ECU should drive 85 injectors but I can't speak from experience.

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/modelse...ral+Turbo+5spd

I have an 84T 5spd ECU I could sell you but a) it hasn't driven a car in at least two years; and b) I'm in Canada so shipping's gonna be a lot more. PM me if nobody else comes through.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenZ View Post
          86T ECU should drive 85 injectors but I can't speak from experience.

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/modelse...ral+Turbo+5spd

I have an 84T 5spd ECU I could sell you but a) it hasn't driven a car in at least two years; and b) I'm in Canada so shipping's gonna be a lot more. PM me if nobody else comes through.
          I'll try the 86 T ecu and see what happens when he sends it. I may take you up on thatoffer, I just have to wait until bills are paid and I'm not being swallowed by school.

Comment

86T ecu should run your car, however keep in mind that the O2 for 85T and 86T cars are different types. The best thing for you would be to get a 87NA ecu with Nistune installed, but that's time and money in order to get the board, get Nistune installed, etc... Basically what would happen is Nistune would get installed into that 87 NA ecu, and yourself or the tuner would load a 84-85T factory tune. However if you wanted to get more power from your car, you'd have the option to tune your car accordingly(for things like larger injectors, larger turbo, cams, etc...).
            Last edited by GodofRichy; 09-20-2017, 02:44 PM.
            1986 z31 NA2T(Motor is being assembled)
            1984 z31 Turbo 5 speed(slowly being parted out)

Comment

Originally posted by GodofRichy View Post
              86T ecu should run your car, however keep in mind that the O2 for 85T and 86T cars are different types. The best thing for you would be to get a 87NA ecu with Nistune installed, but that's time and money in order to get the board, get Nistune installed, etc... Basically what would happen is Nistune would get installed into that 87 NA ecu, and yourself or the tuner would load a 84-85T factory tune. However if you wanted to get more power from your car, you'd have the option to tune your car accordingly(for things like larger injectors, larger turbo, cams, etc...).
              I was thinking about doing that, but with my financial stability at the moment I cannot until the end of the semester when I'll have more time and funds to be able to do that. The 86T ECU is off of my brother's friend who isn't going to start work on his 86 until spring time; giving me time to save money for it and all. I do appreciate the information.

It wont be for a couple days til I receive it so I'll just have to wait until then.

Comment

So I got the 86T ECU in and by God does it feel better, granted O2 sensor is needing to be changed but I was wondering if the titania is a direct swap in on mine or anything like that. If not what can I do to run boost safely without hurting anything?

Comment

Need to change bungs & wiring, Titania are 17MM and Zirconium are 22MM.

Detailed info at http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/ECUdifferences.html

Comment

The O2 sensor doesn't do anything that will prevent detonation, that's all in the fuel and timing maps. It's not like a modern engine management system, it's not a wideband. If you have no O2 you're going to start, cruise, and idle rich. You might find driveability issues in certain circumstances but that's all. Ir's no less safe to run boost w/o your O2 than with it.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, i have the o2 sensor for the ecu and was thinking of making an adapter to use it.

Comment

So I drive with the O2 unplugged and tested everything out and all seemed normal. After getting to opperating temp I tried to go WOT to see how it would feel, but 1st gear stumbled on itself, 2nd, 3rd etc hesitated like it didn't know what it waned to do before accelerating as it should. I checked the plugs and they where kinda white, but it black smoked whenever I tried it in first. Any ideas what this could be?

Comment

Originally posted by JLaraZ31 View Post
                          IAlso I've inspected the CHTS subharness closely and saw that it has some damage to it could this be my issue or would it not matter as much since the proper reading from the CHTS is going to the ECU pinouts?
                          Im wondering if this could be your issue. Is it fixable? If your losing connection to your ECCS I could see it continuing to throw codes. What is the damage?
                          Jeff
                          71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post

Im wondering if this could be your issue. Is it fixable? If your losing connection to your ECCS I could see it continuing to throw codes. What is the damage?
                            I will be double checking everything when I get the O2 sensor situated to make sure I don't have a similar problem as I was having with the previous ecu.

Comment

So when I was trying to swap the O2 sensors I ran into a lot of trouble as in, it would not come out with an impact, breaker bar, and it started to strip. So I'm going to resort to putting another bung for it. Does anyone have a good spot or idea to where it could be placed? I was thinking before the turbo but not sure as there's not much room for me to think of areas to put it at.

Comment

Originally posted by JLaraZ31 View Post
                                So when I was trying to swap the O2 sensors I ran into a lot of trouble as in, it would not come out with an impact, breaker bar, and it started to strip. So I'm going to resort to putting another bung for it. Does anyone have a good spot or idea to where it could be placed? I was thinking before the turbo but not sure as there's not much room for me to think of areas to put it at.
                                Don't give up yet. If you haven't completely rounded the bolt yet, just go buy a proper O2 socket (if you haven't.) Hit the sensor and bung with PB blaster, go drive the car for 15 minutes, come home, hit it with PB again and then wait five more minutes before going to town on it. I'm not saying it'll pop right out, and it may not come out at all. But I've always been able to get O2s out that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X