Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine cranks but won't start, completely frustrated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cranks but won't start, completely frustrated.

The car turns over very strongly but won't start.
    Some background, 1987 2+2 N/A 155,000 miles. some mods but not crazy. Bought it from a family member 12 years ago with 96,000 miles on it. It's been my weekend autocross baby for 10 years NEVER a problem! Never failed to start or run strong. several weeks ago i took it out to the store, parked it for about an hour and when i tried to start her up she would only turn over but no cough no sputter, nothing. I felt it was a fuel or electric or both issue. After about 30 min she started and i was able to get her home. I have now changed out the following parts to try and fix my baby, the ignition coil and replaced the ECU with a spare, still no start. Today i dropped the tank (not easy) and replaced the 30 year old fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel injector relay and the fuel filter, put everything back together and still nothing, cranks but won't start. PLEASE HELP!!!

Any codes from the computer?

Comment

• mprice7725
      mprice7725 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question, but I'm afraid because I ditched so much stuff off the engine, that the ECU is going to flash a ton of codes. No I haven't checked it.

OK, ton of stupid questions:
    Have you tried a known good battery? (Since you mentioned autocross, you didn't recently relocate the battery to the spare tire well or something, eh? I did that and went through three batteries in eight months from vibration...)
    Did you check the fuel pressure before you replaced the whole fuel system? Have you checked it since?
    Have you got a multimeter and/oror a timing light?
    If you crank it and then pull a spark plug is there gas on it?

Comment

• mprice7725
      mprice7725 commented
      Editing a comment
      Battery is about 2 years old and tests strong. Lots of cranking power.
      No change in the basic configuration of the car.
      Fuel pressure upstream and downstream of the fuel regulator is good.
      Don't have a multimeter or timing light.
      I have not pulled a plug to check for gas yet, good idea.

Check your MAF and CPS. Both caused my Z not to start, albeit not at the same time.
    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

• mprice7725
      mprice7725 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, next on my list. Thanks

• albionwanderer86
      albionwanderer86 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can test your MAF by unplugging it and trying to start the vehicle. It should run, but it won't rev past 1500 - 2000 rpms. I found with the CPS you end up having to replace the whole distributor, as it is built inside it. You can try and just replace the CPS, but it is easier just to get a new distributor. I bought mine from Nissan (remann'd unit) for less than $200 a few years ago.

Start with the basics... pull a plug, ground it and check for spark while cranking. check for fuel, etc. While you have the plug out, does it show symptoms of something (gas, oil, carbon, completely worn, ect.)
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Grab some starting fluid and spray in throttle body. That will check both spark and lack of fuel if it starts. Also check fuses. I know on the earlier Z's sometimes the key ignition switch will go bad and cause lack of contact to critical components.
      Jeff
      71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

I had a similar problem and found out I had a bad CAS,replaced it and my z started first try.good luck.

Comment

Success!!!!!!!!
          I went to our local bone yard and picked a CAS off of a 1985 for 10 bucks and she's running perfect now.

Comment

• Dunkine
            Dunkine commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta love that!

That's awesome! Congrats
          Jeff
          71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment