No shift interlock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No shift interlock?

Pretty random but I realized I can take my 88 auto na z out of park without engaging the brakes, knowing this isn't normal wondering if anyone else experienced this before,,

Has it ever worked or did it stop working? If it's never worked and you're not the original owner, previous owner may have bypassed.

Comment

Someone likely knows, but the Z31 link below shows an interlock recall on 87 models, indicating there was some sort of interlock. I'm trying to think back to my 89 automatic... I feel like it didn't have one. It's been a few years though.

http://www.z31.com/repairs/rt/recall.87.shtml

Comment

• Dunkine
        Dunkine commented
        Editing a comment
        On my 89 auto you have to push the brake to shift if the key is on / car is started, but you can shift it with the ignition off without pressing the brake.

• 1986zxt
        1986zxt commented
        Editing a comment
        Same on my 86 auto

The Transport Canada recall notice covers 280ZXs and 300ZXs from 1978 to 1987 and implies that they had no interlock at all prior to the recall. My 84 doesn't have one. Nobody has parts listed for a pre-88 interlock relay as far as I can tell.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate
        the response

Comment

I checked mine over the weekend. Reached through the window and put it in drive. The battery is out of the car too.

88 N/A auto box.
          --------------
          Legal stuff:
          **Nissan Employee**
          Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
          '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
          '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
          '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
          '00 Corolla-- kids car.
          '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Working...
          X