Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak underneath passenger side headlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak underneath passenger side headlight?

Hey guys I'm having a leak underneath the passenger side headlight. I'm not sure what it could be and haven't had a chance to actually get under the car. Its only been parked for like 4-5 days and I can see the puddle of fluid. I have attached a picture. Any ideas? Imma wait for the weather to warm up and get underneath as well!

Thank you!

Is it oil or something else? Auto turbo? I think those had oil coolers in the US and that's the spot where mine has an oil cooler. If it's not oil then coolant could be the next option, but it's a bit far from the tank or hoses.

Comment

My guess would be either trans fluid from a leaking cooler or fluid from the power steering lines. The puddle has a red tinge to it. put your finger in it and see which fluid it smells like.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

You'll know if it's oil because it's thick and smells strongly. Power steering fluid has a very distinct smell to it. ATF is red or pink in color. Look down at the power steering pump with a flashlight and try to see if you see leaks or anything wet. The only way to know for sure is to get underneath the car and look.

Comment

That’s how my 88T Auto leaks now. Comes from either the oil cooler or the one of the lines.
          Last edited by JSM; 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM.
          Jeff
          71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by kaur View Post
            Is it oil or something else? Auto turbo? I think those had oil coolers in the US and that's the spot where mine has an oil cooler. If it's not oil then coolant could be the next option, but it's a bit far from the tank or hoses.
            Yes its a 2+2 Auto Turbo (Canadian). I don't think its the coolant, coolant hasn't been topped up in a long time and its still full so might be the oil cooler. Ill look into that! What oil does the oil cooler cool? Engine oil or transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Karma View Post
              My guess would be either trans fluid from a leaking cooler or fluid from the power steering lines. The puddle has a red tinge to it. put your finger in it and see which fluid it smells like.
              Is there a way to test and find out which is which? I know my power steering is a little tough to turn so not 100% sure, but at the same time if i recall I checked my transmission oil level a week back and it was well. I guess Ill have to check on the color of the fluid? Red is transmission oil, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_pearce View Post
                You'll know if it's oil because it's thick and smells strongly. Power steering fluid has a very distinct smell to it. ATF is red or pink in color. Look down at the power steering pump with a flashlight and try to see if you see leaks or anything wet. The only way to know for sure is to get underneath the car and look.
                Okay will do! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post
                  That’s how my 88T Auto leaks now. Comes from either the oil cooler or the one of the lines.
                  Were you able to fix it? Just wanting to get an idea first, was it like a seal you had to fix, a bolt you had to tighten etc? I'm ew to this car and the car world aha I'm trying to figure out how to install a boost gauge so that should show how new I am ahaha

Comment

If it's trans fluid can be from either power steering or auto trans, since trans fluid used in power strg.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunkine View Post
                      If it's trans fluid can be from either power steering or auto trans, since trans fluid used in power strg.
                      Hmmm. This raises a question. What's the best lubricant to use for our power steering systems? I've never had to change mine, but now may be a good time to ask. This may also benefit the OP if he has to add or replace his.

The FSM states using Automatic T/M and power steering lubricant Type DEXRON. However, our FSMs are outdated. DEXRON VI is the latest fluid specification, and is backward compatible with DEXRON III. However, I don't believe GM has officially verified it for power steering systems. The back of the bottle reads, "GM Vehicle applications not designed for DEXRON VI usage: Power Steering and manual transmissions..." See attached image.

IMG_0433.jpg

Comment

If you have the money...Redline.

From their website: https://www.redlineoil.com/
                        "RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and many others."

Otherwise just buy Dexron III. Transmax by Castrol is under $20 on Amazon with Prime (right now, their prices go up and down) for a GALLON!

Comment

Originally posted by areebashar.23 View Post

Were you able to fix it? Just wanting to get an idea first, was it like a seal you had to fix, a bolt you had to tighten etc? I'm ew to this car and the car world aha I'm trying to figure out how to install a boost gauge so that should show how new I am ahaha

Honestly it’s not that much so I haven’t really messed with it.
                          Jeff
                          71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X