Crank pully removal 87 ZX NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank pully removal 87 ZX NT

I am trying to remove the crank pully. I cannot get it loose. Is it a left or right turn bolt? What do I ankar the pully to to keep it from moving while I try and remove the bolt? Are there any other specifics I need to know to do this job correctly? I have tried to strong arm the bolt withy my long heavy duty tool - to no avail. ( My ZX is an 87 NT )

Right to make tight, Left to make loose.
    If it's a stick, fifth gear with parking brake on, Auto trans use an impact gun.

Comment

+1 on standard threads. I bolted a piece of angle iron to it that intentionally hit the sway bar below the engine. Didn't have an impact gun available on my auto. There's a couple threaded holes on the crank pully you can use for that.
      --------------
      Legal stuff:
      **Nissan Employee**
      Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
      '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
      '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
      '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
      '00 Corolla-- kids car.
      '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• dbruce
        dbruce commented
        Editing a comment
        I used the same method but used a clamp pliers on the pulley to keep it from moving ... cheater bar on the wrench to get the bolt . used 2 large screw drivers to pry the pulley off

Unbolt Starter, place big screwdriver into the flywheel teeth, this stops the motor from turning, use torque bar to loosen crank bolt and remove. Use pulley puller with two M8x1.25 pitch bolts about 2.5" long in the two holes of the crank pulley to extract the pulley. Takes one hour tops. Reverse the procedure to reinstall. Torque to 250 lb. That's how I did it. Or you can crank the motor with the torque bar against the driver's frame rail. Putting back is not fun that way. Just saying....

Comment

Crankshaft pulley bolt recommended torque 90-98 ft/lbs. FSM EM-54.

Comment

• dbruce
          dbruce commented
          Editing a comment
          right do not Torque to 250 lb.
      Working...
      X